DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Greenstar 24ri blue flashing light.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
minty1981

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote

Today my boiler has given up on me,it lost all power and after changing the fuse on the pcb is now flashing fast on the blue indicator light.There is a slight smell of electrical burning coming from the pcb so I have isolated both the mains supply and gas supply to the boiler.Am I right to think that the pcb has given up and will need replacing or could it be something else?
Its worked fine for the year and half that I have lived here and the installers manual suggests that it is a volatile lockout but does not suggest anything to do with the pcb.
Sorry forgot to mention that it is a open vent fully pumped y plan system h/w and c/h.
Thanks.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
markymark1234567

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote

Volitile lockout. I have had plenty of fans pack up on them boilers
The following user says thank you to markymark1234567 for this useful post:
minty1981 (6 Apr 2010)
 Alert Moderators
minty1981

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote

Thanks mate,
To be honest the fan does not come on when it starts its initial start up sequence so could well be,its also mentioned on the diagnosis for the volatile lockout.But then there is still the faint electrical burning smell coming from the control board? Both cost roughly the same so would not want to change them for no reason,is there a way of testing the fan?
 Alert Moderators
markymark1234567

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote

more than likely it's the fan mate. If your confident take the front of the boiler and check if the fan propellor moves at all before it locks out. If not it's the fan
The following user says thank you to markymark1234567 for this useful post:
minty1981 (6 Apr 2010)
 Alert Moderators
Agile

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote

Because they are both fairly expensive parts I would recommend you get a BG fixed price repair.

A faulty fan can potentially damage the PCB and if you just replace the PCB you might damage the new one!

Replacing the fan is the less risky first step.

We really need a Worcester service engineer as they have lots of single make experience and know whats statistically most likely.

Fortunately all the seven Worcs Ri s which I have fitted have all worked fine and I have never been called to repair a faulty Ri yet.

Tony
The following user says thank you to Agile for this useful post:
minty1981 (6 Apr 2010)
 Alert Moderators
minty1981

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice,
Seems like it is the fan,as suggested took the front off and checked movement on the fan before lockout and there was nothing.
Seems as though the fan has blown the fuse on the pcb when it stopped working.Could the smell be due to the pcb fuse being changed but the faulty fan is still fitted and causing damage to the pcb.
Just out of interest could these parts be fitted by my electrician or would they still need to be fitted by a registered gas fitter.Unfortunately I do not have any service plan with B/G and I am pretty sure that the boiler itself will be out of warranty.Do I need to get it repaired before applying for a service plan?
Thanks again,
 Alert Moderators
Agile

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote

BG will apparently do a single one off repair either with or without a follow on insurance based plan.

Those boilers will need a PROPER service after 2-3 years and that needs space above them for access. BG's safety check is not the same.

My advice would be to get a BG fixed price repair but not continue with their insurance but instead get a Worcester engineer to service it if they are price competitive. My experience is that they are pretty reliable boilers.

If you call out of the Yellow pages I doubt that many engineers will do a proper service. It really does need dismantling for a fiull service.

Tony
 Alert Moderators
minty1981

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:07 am Reply with quote

Thanks Tony,
In the manual it shows what needs to be removed for service etc, seems like a big job compared to what I have seen some engineers do on my previous boiler.Basically looks like you are stripping the inside back out of the boiler.Any way Thanks for all your help I am away for the next couple of days so gives me a chance to work out which route to go, the advice above seems like the best option.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: