UPVC door lock replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have a UPCV door that is going into my garage. However, between me & my wife, we have managed to lose the keys by putting them 'in a safe place' :(

How can I get the barrel out? Do i need to drill it, or is there another technique?

Many thanks
Huw

Sponsored Links
Take handles off, get some molegrips on the flat thin portion of the barrel and give a sharp yank sideways and hey presto, remove other half of barrel and measure from the edge into the centre screw hole where it should of snapped, do this on both halves to give you the size you need.

Yeah but if the door is locked you still have to get the screw out, this means you have to open the door. So once the euro is out you still have to flick the door mech to get it in the open position. I think and if that makes sense

Sponsored Links
Ahh, so they just slide apart once the handles are off then?
Thanks, i'll give it a go tomorrow night.

Now i understand.
Fortunatly i didn't get a chance to try it tonight, but i will tomorrow night.
Many thanks
Huw

I really hit it hard a few times, but it didn't break :(
Any other ideas??
Thanks
Huw

Can't really give you much more info on an open forum for obvious reasons but just google euro cylinder and snapping or look on that popular video player for a demo, also look for cam turner

If its a conventional cylinder, remove the handles and try a large adjustable spanner over the cylinder (flat with the door to give maximum leverage). Turn left and right untill the cylinder gives up and snaps. If it is a more expensive antisnap cylinder call a locksmith.
Unsure? post a photo.
DC
Teamlocksmiths.

thanks fells
I think perseverance in the key ;)
i'll have onother pop in a mo.......

The big adjustable was the key - only took a few flexes and it just went.
Thanks again
Huw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back