Can I knock down a services wall???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm buying my first house and quite new to DIY so any help is much appreciated. :D

So...the house i have my heart set on has two pokey bathrooms upstairs; an en-suite which has an outside wall and a main bathroom which sits next to the en-suite in the middle of the house without any external walls. The wall which sits between the two bathrooms houses all the services for both bathrooms. I would like to demolish that wall in order to create one large bathroom.

So...is it possible? I asked someone for advice but he just smirked and simply responded "anything is possible if you have the money". Is re routing services to another wall and knocking down the services wall a huge job? I can't ask a builder as i don't have the property yet but my willingness to buy it largely sits on whether i can have this alteration carried out. No idea yet whether the wall is load bearing, will find out soon hopefully. BTW the house was constructed in 1984.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
hot and cold can go mort places...your restriction will be on whether u can get the waste water away...ie if you want the toilet on an internal wall away from the stack...this might be problematic

as above. sounds like you have an internal soil stack. most likely a stud partition by the age and if service pipework is run inside wall.
Main issues.
1. Load bearing wall?
2. Waste and soil pipework

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back