Property has Baxi back boiler , dont think system running ok

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all and forgive me , as I dont no anything about heating or boilers :)

Have been forced to take a rented property through a private landlord agancy. Previous property had a lovely combi boiler running fine with acceptable gas bills (£70 a month for gas and elec) for 3 bed semi.

Property I am in now is 2 bed cottage with Baxi Bermuda S2 (?) installed for heating (and hot water I presume).

There is no roomstat in the place or any tankstat fitted to immersion tank. There is a simple "Superswitch" timeswitch (off/timed/on) in immersion cupboard (fed from a electric spur), that has a pump wired into it.

In the "off" position on the timeswitch , the boiler is constantly switching on and off about once every 30 minutes or so and running for approx 5 minutes.

Gas consumption over the last 12 days had been 7-8 units a day on gas meter even with timeswitch in "off" position and gas company are altering my DD to £85 a month just for gas :(

Now this doesnt seem right to me at all. Am I just used to a nice efficient combi setup and this is normal usage with an old back boiler ?

There is no record in the property of a recent gas check in last 12 months or any stickers anywere.

Anyone have any advice plz

Many thanks

*ADDITIONAL INFO : No motorised vales anywere , also hot water from tap is literally scalding and excessively hot

Sponsored Links
firstly its a requirement that any landlord has the gas installation and the appliances he owns i.e boiler fire. cooker depending who it belongs to. ask to see a cert dated withing the last 12 months. as for the system it sounds like a system which could do with an upgrade even some new controls valves stats programmer. as all the system will be doing is firing up because the water in the system will be reaching the temp set on the boiler. u can stop this by lowering the stat on the bbu. see if the landlord will do this.

Nath

firstly its a requirement that any landlord has the gas installation and the appliances he owns i.e boiler fire. cooker depending who it belongs to. ask to see a cert dated withing the last 12 months. as for the system it sounds like a system which could do with an upgrade even some new controls valves stats programmer. as all the system will be doing is firing up because the water in the system will be reaching the temp set on the boiler. u can stop this by lowering the stat on the bbu. see if the landlord will do this.

Nath
Thanks for your reply Nath ...

I agree about the system "requiring an update" (at what cost ?) but i fear the landlord wont be in agreement as it works already, although in a very inefficient way.

I will persue him about the certificate in the morning. Is there a time limit or anything that says the safety check has to be carried out in and certificate produced from the date of me raising the issue with him ?

As for the stat , I have had a look under the flap at the bottom of the boiler , it is set at "2" out of "5/max"

well u can pick up a pack with 2x2port valves cylinder stat, room stat, wiring centre, programmer for around 100 quid. and with abit of plumbing knowledge and abit of a wiring knowledge. you can fit it yourself. where in yorks r ya??

Nath

Sponsored Links
Richmond , North Yorks.

Am I right in thinking that its only the central heating that is currently being "pumped" via the times on the time clock and the hot water is done by gravity ?

£100 dont sound bad for bits , do you have any links for a suitable pack ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back