Painting newly skimmed walls +

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently got the hall stairs and landing re plastered,skimmed but they are ready for painting, but today i noticed a few very very fine cracks in one of the walls, so if i put a misting coat and two top coats of matt paint onto the walls will the paint cover up the cracks,

Sponsored Links
Try it and see,,, but i think you'd still see the cracks.
What type of cracks are they anyway? Straight cracks?? cracks that look spidery? (radiating from the middle). Rub the back of your hand/fingernails over the plaster to see if it sounds hollow.

The cracks are straight, it does not sound hollow, if i run my fingernail over the crack you cannot feel the crack, but they are visable

Sponsored Links
If the walls are plasterboard and the cracks are straight, it could be the joints in the board,, plus if the cracks are very fine, maybe they were there all the time but you didn't notice them before the wall was skimmed,, maybe the wall had paper on.
Are the walls p/board or solid? plus are the cracks above a radiator? sorry for all the questions, but it helps to get some idea.

You say re-plastered & skimmed, what exactly have you had done; did you have plasterboard dot & dabbed on the wall first?

Ok, the original walls were concrete which were dry lined with polysterene and plasterboard sheeting which was plastered, and the plasterer covered the old plaster with a coat of finishing plaster.

So the dry lining was already plastered but had showed no cracks in it, you had it re-skimmed & now there are cracks in it. The only reason I can think of is poor preparation & the new skim has dried too quickly but these will be random & have the spider appearance RC describes; a bit like a dried up river bed.

If the cracks are long, straight & coincide with the board joints, they would almost certainly have been there before.

There were a few cracks in the old plaster, the cracks are not straight lines, the plasterer used PVA on the old wall before he put the new coat of finishing plaster on, i dont think it dried out too quickly as the heating in the hallway is switched off at the moment,

Maybe if you post some photos I/we can make more sense of it but, from the limited information you’ve given, I’m at a significantly difficult loss to understand/diagnose what went wrong; have you asked your plasterer what went wrong?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back