Recommend a toilet float valve assembly to stop water hammer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My downstairs toilet has recently developed classical water hammer symptoms. As the cistern reaches full and the valve switches off, the pipes rattle and bang for about 5 seconds. No other toilet or tap in the house does this. The float valve is about 3 years old and is the plastic type with the trailing cellophane filler "pipe". It is filled direct from the mains and the pressure is quite high in our area. The pipes appear to be well "pinned" to the wall. I have played with the water input stop valve and varying the water input rate seems to help for a few days but then it goes back to the hammering.

I am guessing that the cistern float valve is the problem and I think the easiest and simplest thing to do first is to replace it. So the question is, what do you folks recommend as the "best" valve for the job? I note that there are quite a few available at B&Q or Screwfix (which are both local to me) so I would value some expert input. Not too worried about the price as they are all relatively "cheap" (£5-£15) I just want to choose the one that is most robust, easy to fit and adjust and will cure the problem for a long time.

Thanks John

Sponsored Links
fluidmaster, it comes with inserts that slow down the flow, this should stop the water hammer.

From your description, this sounds like a Torbeck valve. These are made by Opella, and the makers are aware that water hammer is a problem in some installations. They will provide a "prototype parts kit" free upon request - fitting this cured the problem for me. Try giving them a call on 01432 357331 -the replacement parts can be fitted in seconds, and saves the time and expense of a new valve.

From your description, this sounds like a Torbeck valve. These are made by Opella, and the makers are aware that water hammer is a problem in some installations. They will provide a "prototype parts kit" free upon request - fitting this cured the problem for me. Try giving them a call on 01432 357331 -the replacement parts can be fitted in seconds, and saves the time and expense of a new valve.
Thanks - what "exactly" are the parts and how are they fitted ? cheers John

Sponsored Links
The kit comprises a replacement front cap, and a replacement insert. Instructions are provided; it's supposed to 'de-sensitise' the valve; and as I said, it worked for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back