Running power to garage through garden - how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are my options for doing this?

Are there any guides?

Can I use galvanised conduit instead of armoured cable? - how deep, size, connections? etc

Any tips?

How much current (cable size) should I plan for - I'm estimating the max I could use would be around say 13A (welder) 9A (heater) 6A (air compressor) + 4 4 foot flourescent lights (no idea they need a lot for startup do they?)

Sponsored Links
What are my options for doing this?
Cable run overhead or buried.

Are there any guides?
414I7RjVdwL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0863418546

41hj3o997nL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0863418627 or http://www.theiet.org/publishing/books/wir-reg/electricians-guide-part-p-2nd-edition.cfm

31sgoOfkmYL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0863418554

And you should get a guide to the Wiring Regulations such as this:

41OwCK9EwCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0953788555 or http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLGUIDE.html

Or one of Brian Scaddan's many books.

You can get a feel for the 16th Edition version of Whitfields book here.

A bigger reading list: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=75416#75416

Can I use galvanised conduit instead of armoured cable? - how deep, size, connections? etc
I can't think of a single reason why - it'd be much easier to use armoured cable.

How much current (cable size) should I plan for - I'm estimating the max I could use would be around say 13A (welder) 9A (heater) 6A (air compressor) + 4 4 foot flourescent lights (no idea they need a lot for startup do they?)

You should also read this - very important. //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p[/size]

Do I need all the books or just one, where you mentioned I should get a guide to the regulations (3rd book) is that not what the second book is also?

Which book would be recommended for a DIY installer - would I find out in there if its best to have a RCD feeding the entire supply or one in the garage for sockets (or everything?) or don't use one at all?

What sort of fees am I looking at to get this inspected by the council (including consumer box and sockets, lights in the garage).

What sort of fees am i looking at to get a qualified 'person' to do this - I'm guessing £200 to £2000 ish more likely £1k? (estimated on the lack of work and ~£160/hour charged by a 'competant' person to install a gas hob - who incidentally had the balls to charge me more because they had to goto the shop to get a 15mm isolater tap which I can't believe they dont carry!)

Anyway this is a lot to replace the 10A cable running round the flowerbed!

Sponsored Links
Conduit would be if I need to run additional cables in the future it would be easy to do - e.g. alarm, telephone, doorbell etc.

Conduit would be if I need to run additional cables in the future it would be easy to do - e.g. alarm, telephone, doorbell etc.

TBH armoured is still the best option, if you want containment to accomodate future use then maybe get some ducting installed in the garden along the run? Make sure you put a rope in it though.

despite it's claims, calv conduit probably won't last all that long underground, any scratches in the galv will mean the steel will rust, and any exposed threads at the couplers will too..

you're better off putting a drain pipe in and using that as a duct..

What sort of fees am i looking at to get a qualified 'person' to do this - I'm guessing £200 to £2000 ish more likely £1k? (estimated on the lack of work and ~£160/hour charged by a 'competant' person to install a gas hob - who incidentally had the balls to charge me more because they had to goto the shop to get a 15mm isolater tap which I can't believe they dont carry!)

Well first I would ask I you had decided on ductwork? Then I would ask if you are digging the trench?

I priced a similar job to this a few weeks ago. It was SWA run along the garden with sockets & lights in a double shed. With a switch isolator in the house, and some LED's in the decking.. all came to £1600 ish.

Not all 'competant' persons charge £160 ph. Why on earth would you agree to pay that?

Do I need all the books or just one, where you mentioned I should get a guide to the regulations (3rd book) is that not what the second book is also?
The second one is a guide to the Building Regulations, not the Wiring Regulations, but it does assume that compliance with the latter is the way that you'll achieve compliance with Part P of the former, and the electrical info in it comes from BS 7671.

Whitfield and Scadden etc are purely guides to the Wiring Regulations.

Which book would be recommended for a DIY installer
Without any doubt the first two above, and a guide to the Wiring Regulations. Given this specific job you are doing I'd say that GN1 would also be useful.

Whether you would also benefit from one of the DIY books listed in the For Reference topic I don't know.

would I find out in there if its best to have a RCD feeding the entire supply or one in the garage for sockets (or everything?) or don't use one at all?
You'll certainly find out that the last option is not allowed....

As for where best to have it, once you understand the pros and cons of the alternatives you'll be able to decide which is best for you. It's all part of becoming genuinely competent to design and install the supply to the garage, and the CU and final circuits in it.

What sort of fees am I looking at to get this inspected by the council (including consumer box and sockets, lights in the garage).
Ask them - it'll be on their website. Be aware that it is quite likely that they don't do things properly, and will effectively try to stop you from DIYing.

Can't see it can't quote it, as they say. But few electricians are frustrated navvies, so you'll be able to keep the cost down by digging the trench yourself.

TBH, if you want to do this properly, i.e. notify & DIY vs getting an electrician to do it, the latter will probably be cheaper. And certainly cheaper than notify, DIY and do your own testing (which the council probably won't do) - it depends how much electrical work you see yourself doing in the future, and what kind of investment in learning and buying test equipment you want to make.

Anyway this is a lot to replace the 10A cable running round the flowerbed!
Yo - please do replace it.

you're better off putting a drain pipe in and using that as a duct..
The problem with that is that anybody digging in the future might think it's a drain pipe...

Proper electrical ducting is less than £1.50/m - no reason not to use it.

no the won't..

if you use 2 inch black plastic then that's the right colour.. electrical ducting is black.. underground drainage is light brown / orangy colour..

the only difference is that the stuff on the roll is corrugated and comes in one 50m long piece..
so he'll have a lot left over unless his garage is 50m away from the house..

the proper use of warning tape should adequately warn people it's electric in there and not rain water.

if you use 2 inch black plastic then that's the right colour.. electrical ducting is black.. underground drainage is light brown / orangy colour..
Ah - OK - see what you mean.

the only difference is that the stuff on the roll is corrugated and comes in one 50m long piece..
so he'll have a lot left over unless his garage is 50m away from the house..
Or 25m if he puts in 2 runs... ;)

a 2 or 3 inch pipe with a 25mm conduit inside of it should provide enough space to run phone and data down it should he ever need it.. or just pull in a couple of runs of 25mm or larger adaptaflex should the need ever arrise..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back