RWB9 programmer vs. Honeywell Wiring Centre; wire colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm trying to wire up a sparkly new Honeywell Sundial Wiring Centre but have come a bit adrift with the RWB9 programmer.

The programmer has 5 wires: green, blue, orange, grey and white.* The wiring centre has six screw-down sockets for the wires, labelled L, N, E, ON-CH, ON-HW, and OFF-HW.

Can anyone tell me which colour wire goes into which of these sockets? I'm assuming green into E and blue in N, but after that, I'm a bit lost.

Thanks very much!

Cheers, Ed Stevens

*At the programmer itself the green is fixed to socket 1, the blue to socket N, the orange to socket L, the grey to socket 3, and the white to socket 4.

Sponsored Links
you need to take the programmer off and have a look where they go into the backplate.

Thank you for the quick reply!

Yes, have done so. On the backplate of the programmer:

* the green wire is fixed to [1]
* the blue to [N]
* the orange to [L]
* the grey to [3]
* the white to [4]

Is there something else I need to mention?

Cheers, Ed S.

you need to take the programmer off and have a look where they go into the backplate.

If you look on the back of the programmer it will probably tell you which wire is which, but I think its a standard pattern backplate so it will be L and N then 1=HW OFF
3=HW ON 4=CH ON

Hope you didn't power it up with that Green in the Earth terminal !

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much!

Maybe these photos will make things clearer; when clicked they get bigger. Here's the backplate of the controller:

And here are the sockets on the wiring centre:

Hmm... with the green in the wrong socket may explain why fuses keep blowing. Good catch!

Cheers, Ed S.

I think you will have a three port motorised valve, in which case the green wire in the programmer - which I assume you haven't wired yourself - is not an earth and should go to the HW off terminal in the Sundial wiring centre.

If you connected it to earth in the Sundial wiring centre is would take the fuse out or if your house was not earthed correctly, possibly kill someone.

Heating wiring does not normally follow set colour codes and minimum good practice dictates that any cable carrying a phase conductor should be relabelled or sleeved/marked with brown or blue respectively.

If you are clueless this could have lethal consequences, mains wiring is not about permutations until it seems to work without blowing a fuse.

Indeed the case; I do have a 3-port motorised valve. Thanks to what mickyg said above, it all seems to be working fine now. Still have to wire up the boiler, but the controller at least seems to light up when I turn the mains back on.

I wouldn't say I'm clueless about electrical stuff or for that matter basic plumbing, but this particular project was perhaps a bit outside my comfort zone. So I do appreciate your warning, and your observation that the wires were not colour coded was absolutely spot-on.

Cheers, Ed S.

I think you will have a three port motorised valve, in which case the green wire in the programmer - which I assume you haven't wired yourself - is not an earth and should go to the HW off terminal in the Sundial wiring centre.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back