Bedding in wastes , silcone or plumbers mate ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can someone tell me what is best for bedding in the wastes on baths , showers, sinks etc , in the past i've used both silcone and plumbers mate ? both seem to work fine , but recently changed a waste and was a little worried how easy it came out with the plumbers mate . cheers for any answers ?

Sponsored Links
Silicone every time, mould resistant and very reliable. Mait will release reasonably easily as it never sets

Basin - Basin mate

40mm and above waste then Silicon is OK but a bugger to get off. With plumbers mait you use a small amount and clean up after you and its as good if done right.

Sponsored Links
Putty and paint. :LOL:

The bloke I worked with as an apprentice swore it was the only way.

I was told that plumbers mate can rot some bath materials (plastic) so I always use silicone but not sure if thats trueor not.

Plumbers Mait for me every time. Those that use silicone for its 'wonderfully excellent, fast setting and waterproof' properties, should go back to basics. Silicone is a pain in the ar5e when anything needs to be demounted, does have some 'give' but once the seal has been broken, struggles to reseal without stripping all parts down and cleaning all traces of it off. At least with plumbers mait, there is a decent amount of give, and besides, it is what should be used :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back