Anyone here put in a spiral staircase?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a tiny 2 up 2 down Victorian cottage and have been wondering whether to take out the 1970's staircase and put in a cast iron spiral to save space (and look better!) Next door's have one and it seems to work well.

Has anyone here ever changed to a spiral staircase? Was it straightforward and it there anything I need to know or anything that you would do differently?

Thanks!
Liz

Sponsored Links
There are a few minor issues, they're more dangerous than straight stairs (and they get more dangerous the smaller you go especially for visitors unfamiliar with them) and the only other issue is access, if you need to get any items of furniture like wardrobes or bed frames you're likely to run into problems. You will also put off any future potential buyers who don't like spirals.

Some good points there from freddy that a lot don't think about. I last fitted one 2 years ago, it was realy narrow so as to fit in a corner, easy and pretty straight forward fix as it was made to measure, but also fitted a large like loft hatch from the utility room into a spare bedroom to get furniture up and down.

They do look great and free up some space at ground level but can also be a hindrance if it's your only access upstairs.

Easy fix it it's made to measure, not so easy if it's second hand and you try to make it fit!!

It would definitely be a made to measure type kit. I have a feeling its going to be more complicated than I first thought.

The existing stairs go down the side of the house into the corner of the kitchen and have a 90 degree turn at the bottom. So they are pretty dangerous anyway - if the children run down them, they just crash into the wall facing them at the bottom as they can't make the corner! They are also very steep, horrible, orange 1970's polished slippy wood and less than 1m wide with not even enough width for a rail!

If I have a spiral it can go up the other corner of the kitchen and free up half the wall downstairs. At the moment the only workspace I have in the kitchen is a piece of board 40cm wide and 90cm long...

L

Sponsored Links
Well Lizzz, if you think "less than 1 m wide " is not a lot, what will you think about your spiral width ?

Maybe if the kids have been running into the wall for a long time the spiral will flummox them entirely and they might risk starvation by not being able to get downstairs to the kitchen ? :confused:

Absolute, nailed on, full bore, NIGHTMARE!

Just make sure that anything bigger than a shoebox is carried upstairs prior to installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back