wiring a 3 pin 13 amp mains site plug (blue) not domestic!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a blue 3 pin mains site plug for a caravan park and need to wire it to a normal socket extension. The link to the plug on go outdoors website is below.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/pennine-leisure-mains-site-plug-caravanning-electrical-set-p116916

The plug has no fuse inside and doesnt seem to direct me to earth., neutral or live pins. Not sure if it will be safe to use just wired to an extension cable. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Sponsored Links
Firstly they are 16A and are designed to be protected as such in the fixed wiring. Secondly the pins should be marked up - either colour coded or letters embossed in the plastic moulding by the pins (sometimes just the Line and Earth) The earth is the biggest diameter pin.
Thirdly, if you are in any doubt about your ability to connect this up seek the services of a competant professional

ALSO: You cannot just connect it to a 13A extension lead (if that is your intention) as there will not be the correct overload protection !

thnaks.

the only coding inside is L/+. I assumed the fat pin was earth.

I belive the plug is IEC 60309 (blue) 200 240 volt. But i was told it was 13amp?

I know how to wire a normal plug and can follow instructions. If i make sure th earth is correct can I assume the live and neutral can go in either thinner pin hole?

Thanks agian for your help.

The Line is the L/+ terminal, Neutral to the other 'thinner pin' and earth to the 'fatter pin'

You must ensure correct polarity

Sponsored Links
It's definitely 16A, you should find markings on the plug to confirm that.

your right it is 16A - my mistake.

The extension cord i have is fused with a surge protector - will that help?

your right it is 16A - my mistake.

The extension cord i have is fused with a surge protector - will that help?

Yes, if there's a fuse inside the extension strip itself or you were to only wire a single 13A trailing socket into the 16A plug, it'll be fine. Make sure the flex is 1.5mmsq.

The extension cord i have is fused with a surge protector

Can you clarify that a bit. Is it fused and has a surge protector or are you assuming that a surge protector is the same as a fuse (which it is not).

Hello Tom.
Most caravan sites will provide a hook up adaptor for a small fee, ie., the plug you have, normally each hook up is protected via an on site MCB and maybe an RCB. Unless they have moved away from the practice there used to be a dual hook up fee,
One assuming all manner of power useage from heating to fridges etc.,

Two for lighting only and perhaps being able to use a hairdryer on its lowest setting before it tripped the MCB.

Also some sites used a 16amp plug like you have illustrated and others adopted a safety measure that necessitated a twist of a special type plug before it allowed you to enjoy power.

From the sound of it, if its a caravan it does not possess the correct externally mounted 16amp plug for you to plug the extension socket into, the caravan would also have a correct distrubution / charger system all fused and RCB protected along with a polarity warning.

If on the other hand you are camping then I would suggest a correct extension lead that incorporates all the protection required, they are not cheap but what price safety :cry:

Another practice I trust sites have moved away from was to have a service point that covered several pitches and was used for both power and a water tap :eek:

Mick.

Nothing wrong with using a 4 way fused trailing extension such as this:

http://www.ebulbshop.com/acatalog/13A_White_4_Way_Trailing_Socket_-_Fused.html

Connect it to your blue plug with 3 core 2.5mm flex. Ideally some orange artic flex.

Ideally you would use a moulded rubber trailing socket - have a google and I am sure you will find one. Moulded plastic can be brittle if dropped - not designed for the rigors of outside use.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
What spark doesn't have a 16amp or even a 32amp plug with a trailing 2 gang socket in their van :D

The Line is the L/+ terminal, Neutral to the other 'thinner pin' and earth to the 'fatter pin'

You must ensure correct polarity

If you hold the plug with the pins facing away (i.e. looking into the terminals into which you will insert the conductors), and with the earth pin at the top, then L should be on the right. That's the same basic arrangement as for a BS1363 or BS546 plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back