DAMP INTERNAL WALLS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in an old house in the country subject to very damp weather.

The walls are solid and, in some areas, suffer from dampness. At some stage in the future I will dry-line the walls to solve this problem but, at the moment I have to paint them. The walls are plastered and, a short while after painting, damp patches start to show through the paint with mould showing through.

Is there any way I can pre-treat the walls to prevent this growth of mould and improve the life of the paint as, in some cases, the walls have to be painted twice a year improve appearances.

I had thought of treating them with 'Dulux Weathershield Multi-surface Fungicidal Wash' prior to re-painting again.

Does anyone have any better ideas?

Sponsored Links
very often, damp internal walls can be cured by ventilation, and are most often caused by condensation. Tape a piece of clear plastic tightly to the wall, leave it for several days, and see if water form on the room side or the wall side, and if it gets worse and worse, then come back and tell us.

If you tell us which parts of the walls, and in which rooms, that will give us some clues.

very often, damp internal walls can be cured by ventilation, and are most often caused by condensation. Tape a piece of clear plastic tightly to the wall, leave it for several days, and see if water form on the room side or the wall side, and if it gets worse and worse, then come back and tell us.

If you tell us which parts of the walls, and in which rooms, that will give us some clues.

Hi John

Thanks for that info. I do not think it is condensation that is the major problem, here, as I have dehumidifiers going 24/7 in both rooms. This is an old house with rendered stone walls.

As I said above I intend, later on, to gut the rooms and dry-line but I am unable to do so at the moment. I need some specific advice for painting these walls in the current circimstances.

This may be a silly question, but have you checked you guttering and down pipes?

just a thought.

Andy

Sponsored Links
This may be a silly question, but have you checked you guttering and down pipes?

just a thought.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Not a silly question at all. I regularly clean the gutterings and it does make a difference but I still get a lot of dampness.

Tape a piece of clear plastic tightly to the wall, leave it for several days, and see if water form on the room side or the wall side, and if it gets worse and worse, then come back and tell us.

Hi, you say it is a rendered solid stone wall. Do you know what type of render it is? If it is cement render on solid stone wall that could be the cause of your damp problems and no amount of painting or fungicide treatment will cure the damp. The cement will have to be stripped off and replaced with a Natural Hydraulic Lime render.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back