Pair Wall Lights - Switch has 3 sets of Wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Had some decorating done recently and the wall switch was taken off and wires covered up (no note of where they were previously wired in switch!). I have just installed a new pair of wall lights on the wall.

Trying to wire back into the switch - which connects a pair of wall lights.
There are 3 sets of wires - each set with a Black, Red and Earth wire.

Have attached all 3 reds to the 'L' and all 3 blacks to the 'N' in the switch (earths were already covered up and attached to the metal casing so havent been touched). Currently one wall light is on constantly (whether switch is on or off) and the other won't come on at all.

Obviously one is permanently connected to live - but not sure what to try and I am a bit confused that the 2nd won't come on at all (and hope it's just my wiring skills :D )

Can anyone help? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Had some decorating done recently and the wall switch was taken off and wires covered up (no note of where they were previously wired in switch!). I have just installed a new pair of wall lights on the wall.

Trying to wire back into the switch - which connects a pair of wall lights.
There are 3 sets of wires - each set with a Black, Red and Earth wire.

Have attached all 3 reds to the 'L' and all 3 blacks to the 'N' in the switch (earths were already covered up and attached to the metal casing so havent been touched). Currently one wall light is on constantly (whether switch is on or off) and the other won't come on at all.

Obviously one is permanently connected to live - but not sure what to try and I am a bit confused that the 2nd won't come on at all (and hope it's just my wiring skills :D )

Can anyone help? :eek:

Have a look in the Wiki, the answer to your problem will be there.

A bit of a clue would be nice.

How many gangs did the switch have?

Were both fittings switched individually?

Personally, I would lay the problem at the door of the person who took the switch off.

Sponsored Links
alibabe1 said:
Have attached all 3 reds to the 'L' and all 3 blacks to the 'N' in the switch (earths were already covered up and attached to the metal casing so havent been touched).
There will not be a neutral at the switch. You have common (permanent live to switch) and L1 etc (switched live returning to the fitting).

It is possible with what you describe that the neutrals are looped in at the backbox (must not be connected to the switch) and that in the switch you have a live loop in/out (into common) and a switched live onto the fittings.

The earths must be connected to the switch earth terminal if it is metal. If it is plastic then they should be terminated in the backbox.

I think it would be a good idea to have a look in the wiki at how a lighting circuit works. Draw out what you have at each fitting/switch and work it out from there.

You may need to get yourself a multimeter to sort out this problem. Do not use a neon screwdriver! They are crap... ;)

have you REALLY got any qualifications in electrical work... if so.... what are they...

I don't think he really needs any in order to remove and replace light switches, does he?

and who rattled your cage?

BAS has more electrical regs knowhow than a lot of the so called "professionals" that post on here

know how..... very good. lots of qualifications in that.... and i may add.. who rattled yours.....

you did by attacking one of the regulars for no particular reason.. :evil:
you don't get "friendly ribbing" privileges until you post count is over 3000 in a particular field of expertise..

by asking to qualify his answers with qualifications is not attacking...

and who gave you the right to quantify rights on a forum....

how can you have a field of expertice with no qualifications....

does your post count make you a better or more qualified person or maybe it makes you feel it....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back