Hot water taps turned on = LOUD humming noise !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Recently in the last couple of months or so, when we turn our hot water taps on (upstairs or downstairs.....it doesnt matter !) after 5-10 seconds of it running, we start hearing a loud humming/wining sound.
This continues after the taps are turned off and then subsides and stops after 20 seconds or so ish.

If we turn the cold taps on, it eases off but if we turn off the cold, it comes back immediately.

For your info, its not a combi system....we have tanks in the loft and an emersion heater.
Also, cold water pressure is very good and always has been.

Anyone got any ideas as to what may be causing this because frankly, its doing my brain in now !!! :(

Thanks in advance.
Sean

Sponsored Links
The float valve in cold water storage tank, that replenishes the tank when hot water is drawn, would benefit from a service, or could be nearing the end of it's useful life?

thanks Tickly.

I havent changed it so i am guessing its atleast 10+ years old so i'll replace the float and the ball too.

Thanks for the pointer - appreciated !

thanks Tickly.

I havent changed it so i am guessing its atleast 10+ years old so i'll replace the float and the ball too.

Thanks for the pointer - appreciated !

Sean,

I have the exact same problem you described above. Can you please tell me if you fixed the problem, and if so, how?

Thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Tickly is bang on Steve...fit a new type 2 float valve to the loft tank and the noise will disappear.
had this before!
John :)

Tickly is bang on Steve...fit a new type 2 float valve to the loft tank and the noise will disappear.
had this before!

Thanks for the reply.
Just to confirm you are talking about the valve in the big black plastic tank in the loft and not the top of the copper cylinder tank right?

Cheers.

had this before!

Thanks for the reply.
Just to confirm you are talking about the valve in the big black plastic tank in the loft and not the top of the copper cylinder tank right?

Cheers.

sorry to hijak this quote i have similler problem in my house we bought it nearly 2 yers ago and it had same problem when ever we open hot taps in kitchen bathroom or even in washing machine its make loud noice we have not done any work at all since we move in can any one help

change the ballvalve in the tank :idea: :idea: :idea:

Thanks for that! I changed the one in the loft first and when it didn't solve the problem I realised it was the one in the copper tank. All sorted now though, peace at last. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back