Ceiling Repair - Fill/Tape or Skim Coat - Which is the best?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are going to have to replace the plasterboard on a couple of downstairs ceilings.

The existing plasterboard has been filled and taped and painted.

We may be in the situation where some of the ceiling plasterboard has to be left in place.

When it comes to trying to hide the joins between the new plasterboard and the existing plasterboard would it be best to fill and tape over the joints or have the whole ceiling skim coated ?

Will skim coat adhere well to a painted ceiling ?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
When it comes to trying to hide the joins between the new plasterboard and the existing plasterboard would it be best to fill and tape over the joints or have the whole ceiling skim coated ?

Will skim coat adhere well to a painted ceiling ?

Think you will be best with the whole ceiling skimmed to hide the join. Scrim tape over the joint between new and old.

I think skim will stick to a painted ceiling with preparation - tho it will depend on the existing paint.
Basic prep would be diluted PVA left to go tacky before skimming.
If the paint looks shiny and smooth for example, may need something more thorough to give a better key.

Hi

The ceilings were painted with white acrylic durable matt emulsion.

I've skimmed mine at home (which are matt emulsion) with just diluted PVA allowed to go tacky. Personally I've not had any problems.

But I would wait to hear from the pros also - I may have been lucky ;)
They will have seen many more ceiling varieties!

Sponsored Links
Somewhere between 2-3mm usually but can be thicker locally. 1mm would be virtually unachievable if applying the usual two coats & it can leave the surface gritty but I've seen skims pretty close to it on occasions; some builders are real tight arses :LOL:

Richard

Can it be feathered away on to the existing plasterboard having skimmed over the join between the existing and the new plasterboard ?

Due to the slightly gritty nature of Gypsum finishing plaster, it’s almost impossible to feather it in & the texture of the plaster will be different to the unplastered boards so there will be a visible difference between the two.

Easyfill is used when taping & filling tapered edge boards but I'm not a fan of tape & fill in a domestic environment; I think it's just a cheap & nasty bodge to avoid the cost of plastering.

Cheers Richard C

In general is skim coating a ceiling a messy procedure ( splashing ? ) as we already have the kitchen and the finished flooring in place ?

I take it that once skim coated not only would we have to re-emulsion the ceiling, but we would also have to re-emulsion the walls ?

Is it easy to drill through a skimmed ceiling to fit recessed halogen light fittings or is it recommended to drill the holes first and then skim over the holes ?

Cheers

In general is skim coating a ceiling a messy procedure ( splashing ? ) as we already have the kitchen and the finished flooring in place ?
There will obviously be a little mess but how much depends on whose doing it, the idea is to put the plaster on the ceiling not the floor :LOL: ! Ordinary dust sheets or old bed sheets is all I use.

I take it that once skim coated not only would we have to re-emulsion the ceiling, but we would also have to re-emulsion the walls ?
Yes

Is it easy to drill through a skimmed ceiling to fit recessed halogen light fittings or is it recommended to drill the holes first and then skim over the holes ?
A standard hole cutter will not have any problem; skim first & then cut the holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back