Which SDS drill for general DIY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to buy a house which needs renovating and would like advice on which SDS drill to buy for general DIY. I'd also be chasing walls for electric cable etc. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It depends on what you're going to need the SDS for? Eg. a 5-6 kg SDS doesn't make for ideal prolonged use due to the weight, however for tough jobs, eg big holes in cavity walls, they are pretty much essential.

It depends on what you're going to need the SDS for? Eg. a 5-6 kg SDS doesn't make for ideal prolonged use due to the weight, however for tough jobs, eg big holes in cavity walls, they are pretty much essential.

Hi Eddie

It could be used for drilling into stonework, so am I correct in assuming I would need something heavy? Would it be advisable to buy 2, 1 for heavy use and 1 for general use. I don't mind spending the money as I'm paying a lot for the house!!!

For DIY use, just about any SDS should work fine.

This should do just about anything you ask of it.

Sponsored Links
You need a 5/6kg job for chasing and a 2kg for normal use. If it was me i would buy a bosch blue 2kg (120ish) and then a cheap 5/6Kg one from makro or similar (60ish) for chasing and then take it back when it breaks within the guarantee period. Or buy a slightly better second hand 5/6kg one.

Hi Eddie

It could be used for drilling into stonework, so am I correct in assuming I would need something heavy? Would it be advisable to buy 2, 1 for heavy use and 1 for general use. I don't mind spending the money as I'm paying a lot for the house!!!

Personally, and no doubt some will disagree, I'd get a 2kg blue bosch and a 6kg Makita. Don't think you'll suffer from that combo. Not too cheap though. Trouble with the Cheapo's they break easily, plus their accuracy is rubbish.

i think you will fark the accuracy of all sds drills if you use them for chiselling. its the offset pressure on the chuck...

if your not a pro and you think you will get all the work done in 1 year buy a cheapo and abuse the guarantee.... screwfix is open 7days a week, keep the receipt safe and you shouldnt get a problem..

buy a wall chaser, a massives dust extractor, and a mask googles, gloves, plastic sheeting, and seal yourself in the room.

I cut through the plaster with a stanley, then run a grinder down, then chip out the middle.. Simplez....

buy a wall chaser, a massives dust extractor, and a mask googles, gloves, plastic sheeting, and seal yourself in the room.

I cut through the plaster with a stanley, then run a grinder down, then chip out the middle.. Simplez....

And ear plugs..... but extraction, oh yes indeedy...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back