removing paint from upvc window frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a upvc window frame with scraps of old gloss and emulsion on it and I wanted advice on the best way to shift it.

The window has a mock woodgrain finish and I don't want to damage it.

What's the best option for getting rid of this paint?

Am I best using a fine glass paper to rub gently, or wood a paint remover do the job?

Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
do the emulsion first, it is easy

you can soften it with meths. To prevent it running off or evaporating, mix it with washing up liquid, brush it on generously, flop over it with a piece of kitchen roll soaked in the mixture, cover it with cling film to stop it drying out.

The next morning it will probably come off when you rub it with the still-wet kitchen roll or a coarse cloth. A toothbrush can be used if needed. If you let it dry out it will go hard again.

Be aware that the woodgrain is just a patterned plastic film stuck to the plastic frame, so be careful not to damage or remove it

Cheers for that John. I was not sure if this was something to worry about.
I'll try that tomorrow night and hopefully clen it up on Saturday morning.

LW, the frame is an oak clour. The windows were fitted about 3 years ago, when the original owner was doing the house up to sell. The window in question is in a box room and I want to use this as a study.

The owner appears to have used masking tape around the frame, but some of the paint (emulsion and gloss) has got under the tape and looks a bit messy. There are also a few streaks, where he has gone over the tape. There is not a massive amount to remove. I'm just wary of spoiling the frame.

Sponsored Links
Holy Thread Revival Batman!

I had this problem a few days ago with emulsion paint on a mock woodgrain mahogany window frame in my house that I can only assume was painted by Stevie Wonder.

I had been searching on here and came across this thread. Was going to try the fairy liquid and meths and then came across this stuff in B&Q so thought I would share it here as it worked for me..

http://www.diy.com/departments/home-strip-paint-stripper-500ml/254572_BQ.prd

I used it like this.
1. Apply product with small brush to the area
2. Leave for 30-60 mins to work
3. Use Stainless steel scourer available in most supermarkets to run over and remove most of the paint
I found it will smear on the surface and from the wall
4. Use cloth with meths to clean off excess and clean frames

Hope this helps someone.. :)

personnaly I would use Paint Brush Cleaner its less abrasive and can be washed off with soapy water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back