Golf MK3 R Reg Rear Sun Roof does not work!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

My week of bad news with cars continue!!! My Golf's sunroof does not work any more. I have checked the fuses. The sunroof switch seems okay but I cannot be sure. I can manually open the sunroof with an alan key.

Previously, in the winter months, the sunroof motor switches became flooded when the sunroof drains were blocked. The drains were cleared and the switches were dried out and the sunroof began to work as normal. Now after not opening the sunroof for a couple of months, it does not work.

I would be gratefull for any ideas or advice on how to fix this problem.
Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Highly likely to be the motor. You should be able to bench test it with a battery and a couple of lengths of wire. Ebay is probably your best bet for a replacement

Hi Neo

Sorry but how do you bench test the Motor as the wiring to it is in Loom format i.e there are 6 wires going to the Motor, so which wire colour should I connect the positive and negative terminal on the car battery to? many thanks.

I'd have to look in the book of lies when i get home, but anything brown is an earth!
Will be one live for slide forward, one for back, one for tilt up, one for tilt down.......... as for the other one, not sure.

Sponsored Links
HI Neo

Yes indeed it was the Sunroof motor BUT I got one from the scrappy from a N reg Golf which was an earlier version then mine, installed the motor BUT does motor need calibrating as when I press switch to open or close the sunroof does not close properly like it use to with the original motor?

There are 2 different part numbers listed (1HO 959 731 & 1HO 958 781), but physically i cannot see the difference. Maybe the stop positions are different?
If there is not adjustment on it anywhere, then i guess you have the wrong one

Back