Smeg DWD64SSE Dishwasher, no error code, won't start.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This one is puzzling me.

I bought it to repair - reported failure not emptying.

When I plug in and select a program it flashes the relevant program lights at me. If I then press start, the same program light keeps flashing, but int starts to make occasional clunks and thumps from underneath. Once for a few seconds it started to let water in but then that stopped, and it continued with the clunks and thumps.

No error code in the lights on the RHS. Just the selected program number flashing (faintly - that could just be old neons though).

Sponsored Links
sounds like pump blocked take off and see whats in it .

Sponsored Links
I've checked both, and neither the main pump, nor the drain pump are jammed. The motor start capacitor on the main pump is good.

Some of the clunking noises seem to be coming from the solenoid next to the pressure switch. I suppose it could be a dodgy water inlet valve (the one on the hose), but it meters OK (a few kilo-ohms).

But in all these cases I would have expected to see an error code on the lights.

One of the gate resistors (R38) on the PCB was toast and the triac (Q8) was shorted MT2 to Gate.

I replaced the blown triac and resistor on the control board, and put it all back together.

Now none of the lights on the front panel come on apart from the mains indicator.

Looking at the softener which was connected to the blown triac, one of the two solenoids is open circuit, and the triac probably died when it went open.

Looking at the spares breakdown, it looks like the softener is only sold as a unit, and the solenoid valves are not available separately - is that right? If so that's rather bad news. I can reasonably pay for a refurbished controller board, but don't really want to also replace the whole softener.

To remove the softener I assume the drill is:

1) Remove side panel (done that before)

2) Remove hose from softener to diverter valve

3) Unscrew top mounting ring of softener

and out it comes. Is that correct?

I replaced the coil on the solenoid valve that had failed, and the timer PCB has gone off to QER to see if they can fix it.

Only other source for the timer (Smeg p/n 696290705) I can find is Servevast (Smeg Service) who want about £133 for it. UK Whitegoods shop says not stocked any more ...

Does anyone know of alternate sources for these boards?

Thanks
Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back