RCCB Not switching on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope someone can help please

I have a Crabtree 40a, 30ma trip, RCCB in the garage (brick, nice and dry) which has tripped earlier today and cannot be switched back on!! I have removed all plugs from the garage circuits, switched power to the garage off/on and still no ability to get the RCCB to stay on with the on/off switch. Power (238v) is getting to the unit, but as expected nothing on the output side. It has been in situ at least 10 years and all wires in/out are nice and tight. All wiring looks sound with no rodent marks etc. Do RCCB's ever fail, as I cannot see anything else wrong?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Firstly kill all power to your house by turning off the main switch (this should cut the live and neutral), then see if it resets.

do we presume that this is a detatched garage? or one that just has it's own circuit?

take the front off all the sockets and switches and lights and see if any are damp or if any wires have come loose..

done any alterations to it?
got any outside lights off it?

Thanks for the replies, sorry I should have made things a bit clearer. Yes it is a detached garage, with a feed from the house main Consumer Unit. I have switched this off and back on and no difference to the garage. No external lights off circuit, and no work carried out in the past 10 years. A deep freezer is out there and was on, but is running OK off a temp feed from the main house. Nothing else was switched on when it the RCD failed.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
what did you switch off in the house to isolate the garage? just a breaker?

that still leaves the N connected and could be an N-E fault.. ( would an RCD operate without a live???? )

anyway, like I said have a look in all of the sockets etc but it does sound as though the RCD is stuffed..

Switched the whole house consumer unit off, which in turn broke the feed to the garage, was hoping, like you say, this might have cleared the garage RCD, but alas no!! Checked all sockets, no rust, breaks etc. so looks like RCD defunct?

It seems that you have double trouble there: 1) Certain RCDs won't reset if they have no power to them , and 2) it's likely that you have a leakage fault (quite possibly a Neutral to Earth fault, as ColJack has mentioned) which is the main reason for the tripping.

Before you condemn that RCD, try this: Isolate it as before, and then remove the connections on the output side of the RCD (alternatively, disconnect the circuit Neutrals from their common busbar - and switch off the individual circuit MCBs). Restore the power and hopefully the RCD will reset - in which case you'll be left with a process of elimination to locate the leakage.

Lucia.

Is this one of the RCD's that needs to be "reset".. try pulling the switch down before pushing it up!

That's a good point Noz. I don't think the older Crabtree devices had such a mid-position trip lever unlike the Memera types, but you might be right.

Lucia.

Is this one of the RCD's that needs to be "reset".. try pulling the switch down before pushing it up!

The RCD is permanently in the down (off) position, if you push the lever up, it immediately comes back down to the off position. There is no 'mid' position. When it is light in the morning I will try removing the output side wires, and report back!

Many thanks for your help/suggestions, much appreciated.

Ok, in the cold light of day, nothing has changed. Turned off supply to house, and in turn garage, removed both wires from the out side of the unit, and replaced same. Power back on to house, but nothing registering on the output side of RCCB. Unless anyone has a different angle on this, it looks like a new RCCB?

Thanks again.

'Triple': I hope you don't mean that you removed those wires and replaced them immediately without trying to reset the RCD?

The purpose of that exercise should have been to remove those wires and then to restore the supply and try to reset the RCD with no output connected. If you have indeed done so, and the RCD still wont reset then I'm afaid that you will have to replace it.

Is it a standalone unit - or part of a small consumer unit?

Lucia.

Sorry if not done correctly, but below is link to photo of offending RCCB!!

[/url]//www.diynot.com/network/tripletrouble/albums

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back