glow-worm flexicom 30 is making a noise like a flute

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just had a flexicom 30 installed, and it has started making a loud flute sound, it gets louder and quieter, kinda modulating, it does it a few times a day, and we keep getting F1 and F4 faults, and have to reset it to get the boiler to light, the guy from glow-worm, came out, and said it was condensate backing up, because there is a long pipe to the outside, but my installer has been back, and redirected the pipe so it goes straight through the wall the boiler is fitted to, and the problem is still there :confused:
does anyone have and advice? other than my current plan to give it a damn good thrashing :evil:

Sponsored Links
F1 and F4 codes relate to ignition failure and fame failure after lighting.This togeter with the noises as described is as suggested incorrect combustion setup.I'm surprised though that the Gloworm engineer didn't check this during his visit.Normally these valves are factory set and require no adjustment.

I've had a couple of these with similar niggles. Call the GW man back. He'll ask if thecondensate line has been "fixed" so tell him it has.
In my case, there was trouble from a gasket after one of the GW man's visits. It's between the combustion chamber and the condensate trap, so gets disturbed if anyone investigates. It didn't go back properly and needed replacing.

Sponsored Links
I suspect a Air/Gas Ratio problem, is the cause of the "hooting" noise, especially as you are getting F1 -4 fault codes which could be and unstable flame get the GW man back and make sure he sets up the gas valve using a Flue Gas Analyser :rolleyes:

thank you all for taking the time to post on this matter, there is a lot of helpful stuff here. The engineer is back on wednesday, and the points you have raised will give me some idea what is going on, the gas/air ratio seems to be the issue, so I will be able to raise this with the engineer. I have now calmed down, to the point where I will be unlikely to be administering a Basil Fawlty style thrashing to my boiler, so once again I, and my boiler thank you :D

the burner needs to be replaced

nothing to do with air gas ratio it was a common fault not all the holes on the burner were drilled the right sizes tends to occur more when boiler is cold

nothing to do with air gas ratio it was a common fault not all the holes on the burner were drilled the right sizes tends to occur more when boiler is cold

How do you know which boiler's were effected ????

since when???????

i used to work for gloworm also some valiants had the same problem as they were practically the same boiler but different fronts

Glow-worm guy came back, we are hopeful that the problem has now been dealt with. If it has anything to do with drilling the right size holes as has been suggested, then I think they are trying to keep it quiet ;) as nothing was mentioned about this, all he would say is that the condensate had not been running away, and had backed up, affecting the burner, but interestingly, my wife over heard him on the phone to one of his colleagues, and he was talking about making holes in something :eek: so it might be interesting to see if this problem starts to occur more often, suggesting that they have either recently changed something in the boiler, or have had a dodgy batch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back