Need help in turning off radiators so we can have Hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a house, been here 3 months now but for some reason we can't just have the hot water on, to do so we need the radiators on too and as you know it's getting warmer now so no need to have the radiators on.

We do have some kind of manual here and i have followed the instructions in having the hot water on only but it hasn't worked!

Even know we are supplied by British Gas the central heating was done by Celsia or is that still by British Gas?
Anyways the book says (For SUMMER USE:) To turn off the central heating to hot water only put the boiler to LOW. We have a Potterton boiler/fake fireplace (where the High and Low settings are) so we put it on LOW for summer use only and yet the water is only warm, unless i'm doing it wrong, the control panel for the heating etc is a British Gas UT2 and there's no settings on there for hot water only but there is a Advance button but doesn't work.. any help please.

Sponsored Links
Have you got a Room Thermostat? if so turn it down as low as it will go, this should stop the radiators, if it dosn't you may have a problem with a motorised valve or whatever so would need to get someone in to take a look ;)

Thanks and yes i have the Thermostat at 10c (lowest) but yeah the water is still just warm, we have had a leak in the house just 2months ago (leak from the radiators cause all the valves in the house are siezed) going to cost the land lord (my girlfriends dad) alot of money and he is very slow at getting things done. So how do i know if it is this motorised valve has gone and where would it be in the house?

If the Room stat is turned down, but the radiators are still warm, then it is likely to be a faulty motorised valve either 2 or 3 port type, it is likely to be located near the hot water cylinder, you should be able to get the radiators off by turning each radiator flow valve off (turn clockwise)
this should do the trick untill the M.V can be attended to, then if the Hot water is still not warm enough set the boiler back to "High" ;)

Sponsored Links
A few boiler and system details would help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back