radiator problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just bought a new house. All my downstairs radiators are hot, the upstairs have very little water in them and are cold.

I have tried bleeding the upstairs radiators and no air/water is coming out of the bleed valves. I took off the bathrom radiator and very little water came out, i also turned on the flow pipe and no water came out of that either?? also, the heating tank in the loft and the cold water cisterns are FULL of water, so the ball valve(s) havn't jammed.

This system runs as a two pipe system with floor standing boiler and pump.

Please help :( , every plumber i call can't get out for two weeks and we are freezing !!

Sponsored Links
blocked cold feed or an air lock, look around for any air vents on the cylinder or high places, you could try draining some water from a rad and seeing if the tank runs, but this could loss what heat you do have

Your feed pipe is blocked. Do a search on this forum and you'll find plenty about it.
Pro tem you'll have to use the garden hose to get water into the system. Either use a drain point (backwards) or get the hose into the loft and shove it down (ie up) the vent pipe - the 22mm one which curls over your F&E tank.
Your system might not be as I have assumed it - do ask if not.

Longer term you'll have to get the feed pipe cleaned out, or possibly cut out and replaced.

Excellent and quick advice, very impressed.

There is a red valve on the pipe that feeds the water to the coppper tank, ill take that off (after turning the water off i presume) and see for any blockages.

If all else fails i will fill it up through that 22mm pipe which curles over the small tank for now.

thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Nope, that red, probably round handle is the supply to the HW cylinder - for your tap water. Not part of the CH.

And what Chris didn't say was you could get very wet taking it off ;)

ChrisR said:
Nope, that red, probably round handle is the supply to the HW cylinder - for your tap water. Not part of the CH.

Haven't done this yet but, the heating tank has a 15mm pipe running down to one of the two flow pipes off the copper cylinder which go to the boiler, the wheel valve on this pipe is what i am planning on taking off. I realise i must empty the heating tank first and turn the water off. I presume i have this correct. ??

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back