Wiring a security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just in the process of installing a security light from the spare way in my wylex dist board...

I have opened it up and im a bit concerned about the exposed cores from the meter tails, should i still attempt a new connection now i've got these exposed cores???

Thanks
View media item 21724 View media item 21725

Sponsored Links
no, don't mess with it..
remember that those wires are still live even with the CU turned off..

get a new CU..
and don't wire a security light from a 15A fuse / breaker.. unless you're using 2.5mm cable and a fused spur as the switch..

Yes i am using 2.5mm to switch fuse spur with 3amp fuse and coming off that with 1.5mm to security lights...

Just wasn't expecting to see exposed cores on the LIVE meter tails, makes me not want to touch it now....

it's the weight of the cables pulling itself down..
you could try ( carefully and preferably with the main fuse pulled, but that's a whole other set of risks ) pushing some slack up into the CU and then clipping the tails to the wall to support their weight..

Sponsored Links
That's what those fuseboards are like.

You have 2 options if you don't like those accessible live parts:

1) Don't open it up.

2) Have it replaced with a modern CU.

#2 is a good idea anyway, as you've only got 4 circuits, and no RCD....

I think I agree with thoughts of getting it modernised, and there was me thinking this was going to be a simple job...

Why is there a yellow core (from a r/y/b/e? cable) connected to earth?

No idea, thats the lighting circuit...
First time i've opened it up was today, and the last... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back