Any Advice welcomed Steel house.

L

longdogs

Hi all.

My sister is about to purchase a house and is waiting for the surveyors results before completing. She has been told that the house is built using steel rather than wood and bicks and has a steel roof! Apparently the steel roof is a little rusty and needs some tlc. Having never heard of this type of structure, I wondered if anyone could give any reasons for not going ahead with the purchase, or is it perfectly normal?

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Iis it a prefab? Theres a few houses on the other side of town here that have steel cladding upstairs (concrete downstairs) and steel roofs. Damn ugly things they are.

Just to clarify.. is it a Trusteel type house? these were 1950s ish houses with brick external skins and tiles on the roof but the internal walls and roof were framed with steel stanctions and beams. If thats the case i strongly recommend not purchasing it.. most of these types of houses had a design life of around 30 years.. so 70 years on and they are at the age of demolishion..

I would only consider one if its a fairly recent build (ie last 20 years or so) as technology has progressed..

How old is the property? and is it ex-council?

Sponsored Links
Well said , Static . :!: Tho` I`ve heard of some reasonable steel framed ones in Kent - Miner`s cottages :?:

You need to be more specific. There are about a hundred or so different steel house types. Most were built in the 50s and 60s but others date back to the 20s and 30s.

What about the ones near Ironbridge Gorge :idea: - knocked up by the Navvies out of scrap Tha` knows :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back