help!!! bare wires sticking out of skirting board.....

Yep, you can spend silly money on speaker cable and interconnects. Not worth it for the average Argos hi fi though

I'm currently running stuff that costs £35 quid a metre which I think sounds better than most I have Tried. I have run Mains cable in the past and its not bad. I have also demoed stuff up to about £150 a metre and couldnt hear the difference. My units are not that top end though, I couldnt hear much difference between the mid raneg and top end stuff to arrent the tripling of cost

Biggest difference on my system was putting a choke and smoothing capaciter into the mains plug and cleaning up the mains a bit. Cost about £3!!!!

Basically if you are running the bell wire that come with your Hi-fi, then mains cable is a really cheap way to upgrade. Mind you, if you hi-fi come with speaker wire it may not be good enough to be improved!!

Sponsored Links
Yep, you can spend silly money on speaker cable and interconnects. Not worth it for the average Argos hi fi though

I'm currently running stuff that costs £35 quid a metre which I think sounds better than most I have Tried. I have run Mains cable in the past and its not bad. I have also demoed stuff up to about £150 a metre and couldnt hear the difference. My units are not that top end though, I couldnt hear much difference between the mid raneg and top end stuff to arrent the tripling of cost

Biggest difference on my system was putting a choke and smoothing capaciter into the mains plug and cleaning up the mains a bit. Cost about £3!!!!

Basically if you are running the bell wire that come with your Hi-fi, then mains cable is a really cheap way to upgrade. Mind you, if you hi-fi come with speaker wire it may not be good enough to be improved!!

Oh No not another one.... Wire is wire :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

http://consumerist.com/2008/03/do-coat-hangers-sound-as-good-monster-cables.html

Sponsored Links
All that test did is prove what a marketing gimic some cables are. monster cabkes are a marketing dream. Of course a coat hanger sounds at least the same, its 3 times the thickness.

Moving to mains cable from thin speaker wire decreases the resistance a lot and hence its the speaker cones that are driven, not microscopic eddy currents in the wire. and thats why speaker wire is as good as the majority of expensive cables.

and if wire is wire, why are there cat 5/6/7 data cables?

But true cable double blind test have been done many times and also instrument tests. Most show very subtle differences that some people can hear. But everyone hears differently. I can hear the bottom end of bats echo pips, most people cant. I hear crud on radio 1, some kids hear music

Sorry we have hijacked this thread too much now

if wire is wire, why are there cat 5/6/7 data cables?

Because the frequencies are 3 orders of magnitude higher where you run into all sorts of problems with attenuation, reflections and the harmonics generated by trying to output a square wave

edited to fix broken quote

and if wire is wire, why are there cat 5/6/7 data cables?

And the conductors in those are nothing more than plain old copper. And not much of it. It's how they're formed and shielded which matters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back