help!!! bare wires sticking out of skirting board.....

D

diane1

iv just moved into a new house and there is cable...(white).poking out of the skirting....there are wires sticking out of the cable brown and blue and the yellow one is there but has been cut really short and can hardly be seen....im assuming as there are 4 of there round the room...that they had lamps or something attached to them b4 the people moved out..

what do i do with them????....

:) Diane

Sponsored Links
Make it a naughty corner for the kids?

You need to find out where they come from. Do you have a multimeter? Do you have any switches that appear to do nowt? Are there any breakers in the consumer unit turned off?

hmm...multimeter???...dont think so!....theres no switches doing nothing!....am just off to find the meter cupboard!.. ;)

Diane

Sponsored Links
contact your solicitor and tell them that you think the seller didn't "make good" any removed electrical items.. ( they have to by law if removing light fixtures etc.. )

Whoa! Lets not go involving solicitors just yet as that could get messy. If you are able to contact the previous occupiers or contact them through the estate agents/solicitors and ask them to clarify what the cables are for and if they are connected to anything. I wouldnt be surprised if they are cables for surround sound speakers or something. Failing all that ask a friend or someone who knows how to use a multimeter to test the cables and identify where they go and if they are connected to anything.

Whoa! Lets not go involving solicitors just yet as that could get messy. If you are able to contact the previous occupiers or contact them through the estate agents/solicitors and ask them to clarify what the cables are for and if they are connected to anything. I wouldnt be surprised if they are cables for surround sound speakers or something. Failing all that ask a friend or someone who knows how to use a multimeter to test the cables and identify where they go and if they are connected to anything.

Whoa! maybe, but if they're brown blue and a cropped yellow (/green) they could be live. And if they are speaker cables then the last occupiers were cheapskates when it came to audio equipment !! You can get a multimeter for less than a tenner.

When you say "out of the skirting" what do you actually mean? Out the top from behind the skirting? From under the carpet underneath? Out through a hole in the front of the skirting?
Grab your camera - a picture speaks a thousand words! :)

And if they are speaker cables then the last occupiers were cheapskates when it came to audio equipment !!

Oh dear, you're not implying that mains flex (of a suitable CSA) is no good as speaker cable are you? :rolleyes:

You should contact the estate agent & get him as a matter of urgency to contact the seller & ask what they are.
As already stated the property should be left safe/secure, water/gas/electric.

You should contact the estate agent & get him as a matter of urgency to contact the seller & ask what they are.

ok...rang e/a as advised...apparently they are surround sound speakers wires!!....(they dont look like my speaker wires!.)...so im now guessing i can just shove em back thru there holes in my skirting and seal them up???

thanks 4 your help guys!! :D

I didn't mean from the perspective of starting legal proceedings or anything, just that the solicitor should have the details of how to contact the sellers and would be able to put you in contact with them.. I didn't think about the estate agent and odds are you might not have a forwarding address or contact details of the sellers yourself..

ok...rang e/a as advised...apparently they are surround sound speakers wires!!....(they dont look like my speaker wires!.)...so im now guessing i can just shove em back thru there holes in my skirting and seal them up???

thanks 4 your help guys!! :D

Thanks for the feedback, glad you are sorted.
Enjoy the new home.

When you say "out of the skirting" what do you actually mean? Out the top from behind the skirting? From under the carpet underneath? Out through a hole in the front of the skirting?
Grab your camera - a picture speaks a thousand words! :)

And if they are speaker cables then the last occupiers were cheapskates when it came to audio equipment !!

Oh dear, you're not implying that mains flex (of a suitable CSA) is no good as speaker cable are you? :rolleyes:

Not if the new owner doesn't know what it is no it's not suitable. whether or not you can hear any difference is irrelevant.

The audiophiles amongst up know that one of the best kept secrets is that mains cable makes superb speaker wire. Sound quality the same as proper speaker wires costing £50 plus a meter. Big improvement in bass over the normal thin twin cable

don't believe me, go try it!

The audiophiles amongst up know that one of the best kept secrets is that mains cable makes superb speaker wire. Sound quality the same as proper speaker wires costing £50 plus a meter. Big improvement in bass over the normal thin twin cable

don't believe me, go try it!
Your wrong. Visit russ andrews website. :LOL: If you like your cables gold, oxygen free and braided, he's your man! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back