Ideal Icos m3080 boiler not staying alight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Ideal boiler will fire up sometimes and stay alight for several hours. Then will not fire up at all, just the pump running. But most puzzling is there are no error messages shown. Cant find any help in sevice book without error codes. Anyone out ther any ideas they would like to share?

Sponsored Links
The boiler only does what its told by the system controls,if the pump is running,it sounds though the zone/mid pos valve is ok.
I would check the main electrical connector under the front of the boiler.
You will find live/neut/earth,and L1 and L2,the boiler works by sending 240v out through L1,if it gets it back through L2, (or could be the other way round,cant remember now) it fires.
Isolate the electrical supply,and check L1 and L2 for security of connections,cable fully in,clamp tight etc etc.

Thanks for info regardings mains supply makes a lot of sense but doesnt appear to have solved prob. Cant work out why no error message when boiler not light?!

The boiler should at least TRY to light,IF then there is a problem,for example,the gas supply is cut,or there is a sensor or internal fault within the boiler,THEN it will flash up a fault code,the fact that it isnt,suggests to me it is not recieving a signal to fire.
If the boiler is just happily sitting there displaying a "0" means it isnt recieving a command to fire.
Did you actually check the connectors? if all ok there it looks like a possible wiring fault elsewhere.
Check all controls calling.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help. Boiler is showing as C and ignition light flashing.but wont light Shows no error message just green boiler light flashing. Seems only to light when boiler on off switch activated a couple of times. Reset button doesnt appear to work. Because no error messages wondering if pcb prob. and if change pcb must you change fan as some messages on other icos problems have indicated? Thanks for your interest.

My Ideal boiler will fire up sometimes and stay alight for several hours. Then will not fire up at all, just the pump running. But most puzzling is there are no error messages shown. Cant find any help in sevice book without error codes. Anyone out ther any ideas they would like to share?

Problem now sorted, I believe! Prob seemed to be the earth pin in combustion chamber was burnt out, or missing. Caused flame sensor to burn out? Had a new flame sensor fitted before earth pin was discovered missing. Boiler worked for short time, couple of weeks. New earth pin fitted. boiler still not work, tried new pcb, no joy. On close inspection flame sensor was damaged. This was replaced. Has worked ok up to date. Just thought very strange but may be of some interest :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back