Combo drill+screwdriver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello people. First post, be gentle :D

Moved house, lots of diy to do. And sainsbury's 5 quid drill+driver is definitely not gonna cut it...
Charge three hours, dead in about 5 minutes of driving stuff into wood. Useless.

So, here's my question - what do i get for 50 quid that acts as a moderately good drill + variable speed screwdriver, short charging and loads of torque. Naivete incarnate, that i am at the moment, but one can hope right ?
(Also is it possible to get cordless drills+drivers with option to feed off the mains ?)

Will be doing mostly wood and some minor metal sheet small bore drilling. For masonry i have big-ass SDS hammerdrill, so persussion in a drill+driver is not needed...

I'd like to get a brand, but since i'm skint at the moment (moving house usually does that to people) i cannot afford 100 quid drill, but like quality... (who doesnt) :D

So, what say you ? 50 quid for a decent drill+driver ? possible ?

Sponsored Links
afraid you need to up your limit slightly or go for one off the end off line where when it breaks you throw it away

keep you eyes out for ryobi as a well known diy light trade manufacturer
also if desposable is youre forte the aldi lidle do 18v drill drivers for around £30 with one battery and a 1 hr charge

Well, after some deliberation i have decided not to go low end.

My "i hate throwaways, love future proofing" side won again (blast you... that side...) :D

So while i have been looking for anything decent sub £50 i came across Ryobi One Plus 2 speed 18v drill driver. Thought oooh cool, 2 gears means more torque on low speed. Little did i know that it comes bare, no battery, no charger...

Links:

£40 one

£60 one

Any good ? Looks to me.

Question is where do i get one+ battery and a charger for one+ batteries for sane amount of money, because B&Q wants my first born for a battery and my second born (who's only a month old) for a charger....

Here's an example

Can i get something on ebay that will do the job adequately ?

Sponsored Links
Sorted.

Makita 18v 2speed. 8391D. Hammering (somewhat), screw driving, drilling. Two 1.3Ah batteries (Ni-Cd) + charger.

100 quid. b&q had them on sale, original price of something like 200 pounds.

Torque'iest drill i found for 100 quid - 43Nm on 1st gear.

Checked out batteries alone cost a fortune, and then some (the charger too)... Bargain or not ?? still can return it...

nice one :D :D :D
just keep on mind you are stuck with old stock
as in future tools wont fit the batteries and your tools are redundant when the batteries fail as these are old stock
unlike dewalt and ryobi that are forward and backward compatable as in all tools fit all bartteries

Well, i don't think i'll be punishing this drill too much so i thing i can get fair few years out of it. The, i have considered the NiCd situation (afaik they're being banned in UK from sometime this year, because of use of cadmium in them, hence the sale, probably). There's a NiMh left, which will still be in the market and those are interchangeable, plus my charger can handle both types, which is a bonus. I dont have to go all lithium just yet... I'm not one of the people too much affected by hype and scaremongering of this sort from corporations (oh noes - no batteries for you anymore, your tool is obsolete etc...) I have a friend who managed to construct a converter/adapter to an old drill to use (i think) standard makita's batteries. I bet with a bit of brain thrown in same can be done with mine when its time to go lithium...

Batteries of this Makita are on a thin side (power wise) - only 1.3Ah, but there are two of them and with the full recharge rate at 30 minutes i think its plenty for diy around the house...

#Edit1# Checked out those green/yellow Ryobi's mentioned above. B&Q had them in the store. Impression - plasticky ??? Didn't have any charged for a try, and battery/charger prices are obscene for one+ drills...

Only thing i have of ryobis is a 33cc petrol chainsaw :D And it probably will stay that way if they dont drop prices a bit...

are you shure the nimh batteries fit!!!!

ryobi batteries are definatly sturdy
i would agree the li-ions do seem expensive at 3 times the nicad equivilent they should be around £55 max

you need to remember the charging carracteristics are different for each battery type so lumping a charger with the wrong sort off battery is not advisable ;)
and b&q are obscene with there prices at least 40% above going rate

Well, thats what i'm saying - included charger handles both types, so no problem there. NiMh will fit - there is the same form factor batteries of NiMh variety.

Tomorrow will be trying the drill out properly for the first time, so we'll see how long 1.3Ah NiCd will last (building storage space under the stairs, aka wardrobe...)

should last for several cabinets because theres no load untill it tightens

remember to fully discharge before charging[95 to 98%]but NOT completly flat
it may take several cycles before the battery holds full charge
enjoy your new toy lol :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back