Help Wiring Photocell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have bought a photo cell to replace the timer that controls the external lighting in the development where I live.

There are 6 post lights fitted with energy saving bulbs.

I thought it would just be a case of connecting the wires in and out of the timer that controls them at the moment, and connecting them to the photo cell.

However the circuit diagram provided with the unit shows the the wires out of the cell connected to the lamps via "Ballast"

Do I need to buy anything else?

Regards,

Jon

Sponsored Links
I take it by photocell you mean day/night sensor (as CFLs are not suitable for movement detector type sensors)

The ballast is part of the light fitting control gear, which will be incorporated in the lamp itself in this case. It should be just a case of supply line into PEC and switched line out, with a neutral to the PEC also.
It should be ok but just check the PEC can switch the intended load.

Yeah that's the most common style around. Pretty straightforward to connect up. Off the top of my head the terminals are L, SL and N (Line, Sw Line and Neutral)

Sponsored Links
They might be

LI Live in
LO Live out
N Neutral
Seems to be more common with that type

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back