Overboarding existing bathroom plasterboard ceiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom has been tiled floor to ceiling.
I don't think my tiler did a perfect job.

The house was built in 2001 so is a new build. The existing ceiling has had to be sanded down in some places because it was lumpy. That was the previous owner(s).
The tile edges that meet the ceiling aren't a clean cut so in areas the space between the tile and ceiling needs to be filled. If the gap was consistent all away around then I would probably use flexible grout. Also as the ceiling in its current state would need a few layers of paint to build it up. The gap is no more than 1/4 of inch max but inconsistent.

My tiler said for a better finish overboard it with new plasterboard.
My question is what size plasterboard would do the job as it will only be me fitting it and I know they can be heavy.
The size of the ceiling area is 1960mm x 1660

Would it be wise to fit the uncut sides of the plasterboard along the tiles and the cut edges in the middle so they can be taped, filled and smooth down. Any advice would be gratefully received :)

Sponsored Links
Before you go boarding , unless the ceiling is very bad, have you considered putting some kind of trim /quad (suggestions please!!) around the ceiling line to save a bit of work and mess?

On the other hand, how about you get your tiler back to do the tiles properly at the top, rather than accept his suggestion of a bodge fix to cover up his poor handiwork :confused:

On the other hand, how about you get your tiler back to do the tiles properly at the top, rather than accept his suggestion of a bodge fix to cover up his poor handiwork :confused:

My thoughts exactly :confused: .

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.
The tiler finished 2 years ago it is only now I have got round to it.

What sort of trim can you get? I can't really imagine any trim to go around there. :confused:

Thanks but I need to envisage these trims by looking at a photo of them in place. I have never ever seen these trims fitted between top of tiles and ceiling.
Sounds like an easier objective of solving the problem. Cutting corners as they say :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back