how to fix flaky paint on ceiling ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just thought I'd throw this topic open before I paint my ceiling.

I'm about to paint a ceiling on my 1940's built house. I've just filled the cracks where the plasterboard joints are with caulk, but I'm not sure how to deal with the flaky paint I've scraped back to sound paint ?

I painted another ceiling in the house not so long back and where the paint had been scraped back it cracked and "drooped" a bit at the edges after rollering.

Are there any tricks of the trade to stop any more paint flaking when painting ?

Look forward to your replys. :D

Graeme.

Sponsored Links
if it's flaking you might have to remove all of it otherwise it will just crack at a later stage.

i had a flaky paint problem so removed loose paint back to what I htought was good, gave it a good sand and then smoothed the surface using jointing compound.

I've noticed that a few other spots that were believed to be good, have now started to crack. I'm wishing I had spent more time and removed all the old paint as now this room is a pristine nursery with nice new carpet so fixing it going to be a real pain.

thankfully it's not so bad that i can't wait until the room gets redecorated, probably when the little princess wants it pink or some other hideous colour!

The only thing I've ever found is using an oil based paint that isn't so prone to cracking.

Well, after reading a few threads on here I decided to put a thin coat of watered down emulsion on the bare area's where the paint had flaked. That seemed to work ok on the first coat. Although the bloody roller pulled some different bits off :evil:

After letting it dry, I put the second coat on, and agin the bloody roller pulled a bit more off. So the suction effect tha the roller has is part of the problem. I can see bits of the ceiling bubbling where the paint is wet. Hopefully, in the morning that will have died down to flat.

Pain in the arse this decorating lark, don't know how the pro's do it day in day out :(

Sponsored Links
You are going over a distempered ceiling :idea: that has not been stripped properly in the past :cry: Muzz is on the money ..it`ll probably go on until his daughter leaves home :eek:

Thanks for the advice everyone :D

It all seems to have sorted itself out this morning, so it will do for a few more years.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back