fixing floorboards to 19mm plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i wish to lay 19mm full length yellow pine floorboards on my fully dried 70mm screed.I have allowed 38mm from top of screed to top of finished floor level thinking that 19mm wpb plywood would be ok as a sub floor to attach 125mm boards to.What would be best way to fix ply to screed/boards to ply?.I was told by someone that i could anchor nail the ply and secret nail[at shallow angle} the boards -is this a good idea?.

Sponsored Links
P.S-If i were to go ahead,using the suggested method-should i bother putting 1200 gauge plastic under the ply as the anchor nails will put lots of holes in it?

Are you sure your 75mm screed is fuly dry ? How do you know ? Was it pumped in ? what type of screed is it ? was it power floated ? etc etc.. There a different types of screed and important to know what you have. And what it's on top of !!

If dry, i would lay pressure treated battens (hilti nail them, or screw them) then floor boards by secret nailing or face nailing.

For ply as a sub-floor you realy need to knowt he type of sreed. Then either hilti nail your ply or glue down.

Thanks Mac.I layed a traditional screed[hand finished and pretty flat] down over 50mm kingspan over 125 mm concrete over radon membrane.I doubled the offical drying time of slab before doing screed[which was done 9 months ago ].Will not the ply make it awarmer floor ie:38mm of wood underfoot?.Plastic?

Sponsored Links
Wood is a poor insulator of heat so no, it wouldn't make any real difference but using ply would make a difference to the walk on sound from the floor if that is important to you. A more solid sound as opposed to a hollow sound if battens were used. And of course laying ply is far more expensive than laying batten.

Also, in order to lay ply with adhesive your sub-floor needs to level to within 3mm over a 3m span. Very hard to achieve with a hand finish.

I would still use batten & hilti nailer personaly.

I thought 3mm over 1m was considered a flat floor?{screed].I only used the trad screed method after looking at a couple of local pumped screed jobs that i thought were not very even at all.Have noticed a few slightly raised bits on my floor around radiator pipes and corners and so now thinking of using battons as i could plane a bit off them so they sit flat in these problem areas.So if I use 19mm baton screwed to screed- what centres should i use and what type/size of nail for board fixing.I once used a porternailer which banged them in at 45 degrees-but that was into 2x7inch joists not 3/4 inch of baton. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back