Radiator cold - cutting into pipe question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a radiator that is not heating up, the other are all fine. I only have my heating on for a few hours in the earlymorning so it's not too bad at the moment but I'd like to fix it.

After reading this forum I have found sludge in the flow pipe to the cold radiator (the magnet stuck to it quite strongly).

So I want to drain down the system (it is vented) and cut out and re-pipe the sludged part.

My question is this:

If I drain down the system from the draincock on the lowest rad, and cut into the pipe, will I get a flood of water - will the sludge block the flow from that part? Or will most of it drain. I just want to be sure before I do it.

Thanks for your advice

Jason

Sponsored Links
Turn the radiator valves off at both ends of the rad then remove the radiator taking care not to spill the water on the carpets. Flush out the rad with a hose pipe to clean it out. Put a hose on the radiator valve, open the valve and flush the pipe. Do the same on the other valve and pipe. Fit the rad back, fill and vent. Then try the system this usually clears the sludge.

Hi, thanks for helping

One question: why do I need to put the hose on the radiator valve, can I not just open them into a bucket to flush them?

Hi, thanks for helping

One question: why do I need to put the hose on the radiator valve, can I not just open them into a bucket to flush them?

Yes but it is better to have a hose fitted then you can open the valve fully and let it run out faster and longer to move the sludge out of the pipe.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks. I don't knwo oif my hose will fit the valve though, it's a standa
rd 1/2 inch hose. Will emptying into a bucket shift it? Thanks mate for your help

ok will do, hopefully this'll shift it. One last point if I may: I'll drain the rad first, then remove out and put loads of old towels down, any tips to stop any sludge spillage onto the carpet when removing a rad?!!! :oops:

It may be safer to roll the carpet back from under the radiator so if you spill and black water it is on the floor not the carpet. Block up the radiator holes so you don't spill on the way out :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back