Shaver socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , I currently have a dimplex heater in bathroom, want to lose this and switch it to a shaver socket, is it simply a matter of switching over or do is it more complicated than that. I am looking at buying the transformer type from b&q £30 if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Shaver sockets are normally installed on the lighting circuit. Can't see any reason why it couldn't be supplied from the old heater point as long as you use the appropriate size cable.

What size MCB/fuse currently protects the heater? Is it spurred off the ring? You might need to downgrade the MCB depending on the rating of the shaver socket.

Is the circuit currently RCD protected? I believe it will need to be. The work will be notifiable to your LABC too...

All this to install a shaver socket. :LOL:

You could keep the existing heater point, which should be an unswitched fused spur unit, and run a 1.0 or 1.5 mm twin and earth cable to the new shaver point.

Fit a 3 amp fuse and use earth sleeving on the bare earth wires.

Have you RCD protection on this circuit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back