Garage roof replacement - suggestions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

The roof on our garage, which was here when we bought the house is leaking. It's a flat roof at a slight pitch (about 15 deg) made from galvanised sheet steel (yes really!) with (torn) felt on top.

We're going to be selling the house and want to get garage watertight again but it's difficult to re-felt because the steel expands when it's heated.

I was going to put some ply or OSB over the top of the steel and felt over that.

Is this the best / cheapest / easiest option.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Providing the roofs sheets are solid yes.Its no different to securing ply to metal decking.I would suggest icopol torch on felt.2 layer,High performance underlay and high performance technotorch mineral both SBS.I have used all the top brands in my time including durbigam and bouder but the system i mentioned is as good as any.This stuff fitted by a reputable roofer takes some beating.The system i mentioned is not the cheapest option though.If you want a cheaper option just standard sandedT/O underlay with a HP mineral cap sheet(app).Why not just replace with box profile roof sheets?If your not a flet roofer i would suggest using the sheets as a compatent DIYer could fit these but this would not be the case with T/O felt.

Have you considered EPDM rubber. Ive fitted a few roofs using the one-piece EPDM membrane, its easy and relatively cheap. The blurb suggests 50+ years life expectancy, however if your selling I guess 50 years is excessive ;)

If you plan to do the job yourself you might consider ********** I've used them a couple of times. You can buy online and you get a next day delivery. There are plenty of other companies that sell this kind of product as well.

Jim :D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back