Confused over Decking joist spacing will this be ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i know, i know another decking question :) But search did not bring up anything on what i need.

Ok, my decking area is fairly large and on a slop so will be part raised.

The dimensions of the area is 4.7 M wide by 6.6 long.

I'll be using 4.8M joists (14.5 x 4.5cm) and 2.4 M boards. The board will be going across the width of the 4.7 so 2 boards will complete a length with hardly any wastage. And i want to step the decking so it looks nicer than having one join in the middle.

Now i have read that centers of the joist should be 40cm apart, this is fine if i were to do 2 full boards across as each ends hits a joist, but as i want to step it, the half decking board (1.2m) will not hit a joist.

Now if i do 60cm centers everything will work out great, but is this to wide? I will be putting in Noggins every 60cm from the same joist material

Is this ok do you think?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
What size joists are you using? Over that size area i would use 6x4 and put a noggin in where the boards meet, that should be strong enough.

Thanks, 6 x 2 i was going to use, but if you think it's not strong enough, i'll go for 6 x 4?

I am in the middle of creating a drawing of each one , i'll post them to get some feed back!

Sponsored Links
if we were doing it, we would use a 4.8 m board. no joins and looks much better. joists need to be at 400mm centres to give adequate support or youll get a bouncy deck

Thanks!

Thermo, i bought the boards a while back as they were on offer at the merchants and before i thought out my plants :oops:

I agree with the 400 centers, but how would you solve my problem? Do you think stepping it is the way to go, sort of the same way you would lay laminate flooring in the house. My drawing are nearly done so these maybe make it easy to see what i have.

Thanks

Hi all, here are my drawings, these are using 400 joists and the deck boards staggered into thirds (is this ok to do?)

FinalDecking40centersjoists.jpg

FinalDecking40centersdeck.jpg

Does this look ok? or is it over engineered LoL

Also see the top right hand corner, this is where it will go.

garden0408.jpg

Thanks, that pics a bit old, need to get some new ones up :)

Doing a few more sketchs :)

Slow progress Lol - but it coming together now!

Here is the state of play last week:

IMGP0431.jpg

IMGP0433.jpg

I have completed the top joists now ready for the decking boards.... But it's raining :rolleyes:

Got the top half finished :)

ae1abd23.jpg

c70dd1c1.jpg

I need to deck oil this next - what's recommended, will any deck oil do or should i get a certain product?

Thanks

Well after extensive searching i came to the conclusion that Liberon was the best, but expensive, so found it on a website (I can name if anyone wants it) where i got 10 liters of it with free delivery for £44 - too good to be true??? Well i ordered at 3pm yesterday and Fedex just delivered it :eek:

Just have to wait for a dry day now LoL

not so good with the maths are we? :)

I know it's done now but 1200 / 400 = 3... so the joints would sit on a joist just fine.. :) you could always have doubled up at the joins if you were concerned..

now for the important question.. what's going in the corner where the black bit is? sandpit for the kids / beach for the adults? :)

Lol, yeah my maths were out a bit, but as the decking goes at an angle, it all worked out ok. Where is did the not so nice joins, is where the shed will be, so not bothered too much about it.

sand pit - yeah would be easier than more decking Lol, but that's the next bit of decking.

Going to oil what i have done so far, then get the shed built. put all the wood for the lower decking in shed, which will make things sooooo much easier. As to get from the garage top the decking is 5 steps - 4 meters straight - 4 steps 5 meters straight, 20 steps - Garage LoL.

Well at my first attempt i am very pleased (I love my triangle step :)), learnt my lesson on not getting the full boards to cover the length of decking, but each board did work out less than a £1 each, so better on the pocket.

It does make it all worth it when i see my daughter playing on there!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back