Bathroom Floor Disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boyfriend has just laid granite tiles on our bathroom floor, but the tiles have started to raise up into a peak along two of the grout lines, which has caused major slopes in the floor. None of the tiles or grout have cracked as yet, the tiles haven't become loose and there's no sign of movement in them, although the floor has started to creak. Does anyone know what could have caused this to happen?

The tiles were laid over 6mm ply, which was nailed to the floor boards and the tiles were fixed with flexible adhesive.

I've read that the ply should be 12mm thick and water resistant and resin bonded, is this true?
I've also heard that the ply should be screwed down, not nailed down, is this also true?

We've now got to take the tiles up and relay them, so any advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance.
;)

Sponsored Links
Hi Scarlett,
the plywood should be w.b.p. construction / exterior grade and must be nailed at 100mm centres (i.e. the space between any two nails shouldn't be more than 100mm or 4 ", using 1inch annular or serrated ringnails (stiletto).
As long is the subfloor isn't rotting then the serrated nails will not work loose.

Sponsored Links
Check that the existing floor is sound - screw it down if there is any sign of movement (creaking boards etc.)

use 12mm WBP ply

Let the ply 'condition' in the room for a least 48 hour.

When you fix the ply down use screws (check for pipes and cables!)

Screw the ply down in a pyramid pattern

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back