Washing Machine in very close proximity to Combi boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm a plumber, looking for some Gas advice. I'm NOT Gas safe/Corgi registered.

I have a customer who wants me to install a washing machine into the cupboard which houses his boiler. There is very little clearance sideways between the washing machine and cupboard sides. The machine would stick out the front of the cupboard (no front door to it). It would be a matter of an inch or two beneath his combi boiler. I don't know the exact clearances, but a stopcock at floor level will need moving, so I know it's very tight.

Seems to me a vibrating washing machine vibrating the cupboard sides is dangerous if there's gas in the immediate proximity - ie. vibrating the boiler or its supply pipes.

I've looked for bldg regs etc to no avail; rung my local council housing/planning dept and got the usual chocolate fireguard response; just rung the Gas Safe helpline for advice on gas matters and been told that the only thing he can think of is boiler manufacturers guidance on clearance for maintenance, but as the washing machine is removable this isn't an issue. He said he'd never seen any rules governing the proximity of washing machines to boilers.

The customer has a perfectly good site for a washing machine, but is resisting my advice to have it in the normal place, next to his sink.

I'm hoping for some rules/regs which say his plans aren't legal. He's a stickler for the rules, so will then happily acquiesce and leave it where it is. This has come about as part of a new kitchen. The boiler is in the old kitchen, in the room next door.

I should also point out the customer has already screwed wooden blocks to the wall to stop the washing machine touching all the pipes to the boiler, and built up a similar platform on the floor, hence his resistance to advice that it's a crap idea.

Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance,
Jim.

Sponsored Links
Common sence is that if the boiler is affected by the vibrating washer the possibilty of loose connections may affect the pcb or worse couse damage I am with you why take the risk however the custard always knows best.

There are certainly no regulations that I can think of. Perhaps proximity of electrical supply/flex to gas pipework.
I would certainly say that blr clearances would not meet M.I's if a combi. I for one do not like moving w/m etc when called out for a svc. You may wish to tell him that should engineers come out they may ask for the w/m to be moved prior to undertaking work.
Finally with regard to the vibration being passed to blr, will the machine actually be touching the sides/back of the cupboard or just tight. If its the latter I wouldn't think of you level the machine up you should get any undue mmovement being passed through onto the blr

Thanks for replies. Whether machine will be touching or just tight - will verify this at the weekend - as I say, was hoping some regulations would preclude the need for that.

I'll try the manufacturer's Instr's route ... that'll do me.

I can see why the previous plumber let him down!

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Definitely check the boilers manufacturers' instructions on clearances, if these cannot be adhered to I would suggest that you encourage the custard to put the w/m elsewhere. Depending on the boiler, some clearances are specified for cooling purposes as well as access for maintenance, and these must be adhered to regardless of whether the item is removable or not. In any case I'd debate whether a w/m really is removable, it's large, heavy, and connected to the water supply, it's not exactly an ironing board or a few clothes / bottles. Speaking of which, if it's tight at the sides and an inch off the bottom of the boiler, you're going to need some bl**dy long hoses to be able to connect/disconnect it as you'll almost certainly need to be able to remove it from the cupboard completely prior to (dis)connection unless you have exceptionally long arms.

As for the vibration, partly depends on the machine, good-quality modern machines are damped and don't really vibrate at all, I'd still keep it off the walls though, avoids the risk.

Not aware of any regs beyond manufacturers' instructions on clearances for this, but common sense should most definitely prevail in this situation; and that might include the common sense surrounding having a fitting on the supply pipe before the stopcock, as you surely will have if you're moving it.

Customer has now seen sense, based on the arguments above - so, thanks for all the (sensible) replies.

Algas - I have satisfied customers, repeat business and recommendations. I also sleep at night. I'd suggest you try it, if you follow your own advice, that is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back