Gas meter Installation, who does it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Opening a new business in the Bradford area, West Yorkshire. When we took over the building it hadnt been used in well over 10 years, then we found out it only has the electricity meter in the basement, the gas one is missing. The gas pipe is coming in through the basement aswell, but theres no meter at the end of it.

Have had it checked out by Northern Gas who have confirmed the Gas Meter Reference Number and the fact that the feed is "LIVE", however i need to have a meter installed before i can get gas to the property.

Iv approached N-Power and they say they will get the meter on, for a fee, on the condition that i sign a 2 year contract with them. I wouldnt have too much of a problem with this if it wasnt the fact that they're giving me sky high rates. Pretty much the same story with British Gas and E-On.

So i was wondering if i can get someone else altogether to install the gas meter, THEN approach the gas company's without the fear of getting locked into 2 and 3 year contracts.

Is there any company that can do JUST the gas meter install?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I recently had 2 extra meters fitted to my flat conversion project and whilst I requested and paid for the gas supply pipe to be uprated I didn't pay for the meters to be installed.

I was already an npower customer and had the original old meter changed from pre-payment/card type to a credit meter and then moved outside. This was follwed by the 2 extra meters needed.

I instructed all the 'meter' only work via npower, and obviously took on new npower accounts, but the actual meters fitting was done by the local gas distribution company, WWU in my case, under instruction/contract from npower. I paid nothing for the new meters to be installed.

Why don't you try another supplier and see if they will do it free on the promise of a new gas account?

In my case N-Power has appointed a company called "Site Works" to come out and install the meter. The whole thing is handled by N-Power but the work isnt done by them.

i think im just going to have to ring them all and see what they come up with. If N-powers prices wernt so high or they wernt locking me into a 2 year contract then yeah id definatly go with them.

As for the charge to fit the meter, im not sure wether thats because im a new customer, or wether it has anything to do with the fact that im a business customer, not a residential.

Sponsored Links
I had no gas meter in a flat i renovated..... I had to pay for the gas to be taken to the property but they sent someone out to fit it...free of charge....but again maybe it is because you are a business or the rules have changed since i had mine done...2 years now

I had no gas meter in a flat i renovated..... I had to pay for the gas to be taken to the property but they sent someone out to fit it...free of charge....but again maybe it is because you are a business or the rules have changed since i had mine done...2 years now

I think its a combination of the fact that im new and im a business customer. All the gas company's are charging to install the meter. Then wanting to lock me into a contract aswell, mostly 1 year, but some 2 years!!!

is there an isolation valve on the pipe ? :D

I hope your not thinking what i think your thinking!!!!

Well, not unless your coming around to do it, :evil:

I had the same thing when I moved into my place. Was previously rented and the gas meter had been removed. They had helpfully left the ECV in place with a cap on the end lol

Gentlemen, mines a small business, a Pizza Bar, so approx. 100 KW per hour or an annual usage of about 130,000 KWh's. So not exactly your average central heating system. I think someones likely to notice a tad bit . . . so PLEASE, stop putting IDEAS into my innocent head. :eek:

Micky . . . . fancy going for a drink mate? :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back