DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

RSJ install procedure?

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
bandekk

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote

I have a single story extension with lean to roof and with a 3.6m opening for bifolding doors and plan on fitting 2 RSJ's across this span, 1 on each cavity wall. As I've never done this before can I check the installation procedure for this.

- RSJ's will be about 4m in length, going to get them pre drilled to fit some wood on the underside, making it easier to attach/fit door frame, and wall plate on top.

- BC have stated RSJ's need to be bolted together, is its holes at 450 centres, then as these are I beams, nog out the gap and bolt together, or are there special brackets?

- Sit both RSJ's on 2/3 courses of engineering bricks, no specific fixing required, just brick round / bed in ?

- Want to lay row of bricks within lintel, anything to know, or just lay 'em

- BC havent asked for SE report, so I'm just going by the steel supplier's knowledge, sound ok?

thanks
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Static

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:44 am Reply with quote

bandekk wrote:
- BC have stated RSJ's need to be bolted together, is its holes at 450 centres, then as these are I beams, nog out the gap and bolt together, or are there special brackets?

Normally tubular steel sleeves are used as timber is too compressible, talk to your steel fabricator..

Quote:
- Sit both RSJ's on 2/3 courses of engineering bricks, no specific fixing required, just brick round / bed in ?

Padstone size will depend on the load being transmitted and the quality of the existing masonry below. As your needing beams bolted together i doubt engineering bricks would be sufficient.

Quote:
- Want to lay row of bricks within lintel, anything to know, or just lay 'em

Huh? What sitting on the bottom flange or the beam? Seriously?

Quote:
- BC havent asked for SE report, so I'm just going by the steel supplier's knowledge, sound ok?

Not really.. Just cos they havent asked yet doesnt mean they wont, and its calcs they will want..
I would check with the fabricators on their liability on the steel designs, chances are they will turn round and tell you they take 0 responsibility for them.. thus your not insured and any future cracking, roof colapse, floor movement etc etc.. well could be thousands you have to fork out of your own pocket if things go pear shapped..
 Alert Moderators
noseall

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Want to lay row of bricks within lintel, anything to know, or just lay 'em
Eh?

Quote:
BC havent asked for SE report, so I'm just going by the steel supplier's knowledge, sound ok?
As Stat's has said, they WILL ask for calc's.

We use scaffold tubing for spacers.
Spacing between fixings can vary from 450mm up to 900mm.

I take it the bi-fold doors are fitted to the external wall thus knobbling you regards a 'u' beam to the external wall. Get your s.e. to specify a heavy duty proprietary pressed steel lintel such as IG, Catnic, Birtley or similar.

All you need do then is specify the cavity size as well as the lintel code and order it from the local b.m. You may even be able to glean some calc' info' from the lintel supplier and cut out the need for an s.e. icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: