Private sewer pipe blocking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first time on here.

I am at the end of a private sewer pipe covering 5 properties, including my own.

Despite various requests and polite letters, the pipe is constantly being blocked by my neighbours cotton buds, sanitary products and once a tea-towel.

Where would I would stand on fitting a grill of wide hole "chicken-wire" across the pipe where it joins mine, thereby stopping anything too big, coming through.

Alternatively do I have any legal recourse in billing my neighbours for unblocking.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
drop round on a Friday night if you want a cure for insomnia...

Hi, first time on here.

I am at the end of a private sewer pipe covering 5 properties, including my own.

Despite various requests and polite letters, the pipe is constantly being blocked by my neighbours cotton buds, sanitary products and once a tea-towel.

Where would I would stand on fitting a grill of wide hole "chicken-wire" across the pipe where it joins mine, thereby stopping anything too big, coming through.
Alternatively do I have any legal recourse in billing my neighbours for unblocking.

I'd charge them three ha'pence a foot.

Hi, first time on here.

I'd charge them three ha'pence a foot.

Who owns the pipe ? Or is it jointly owned. Whats it say on the deeds about the ownership ?

Cotton buds? Jeez, some people just don't think about what they're chucking and where!

I believe you'd be looking to install an inspection chamber with a strainer on the outlet. I've never seen strainers in 110/160mm sizes though.

It would make clearance of the blockage easier and remove doubt as to where the blockage eminates... not sure about the legalities of it though.

When we are called to a property to unblock a man hole, we charge the customer who called us. It's then up to them to obtain an equal share of the bill from the neighbours that share that sewer line.

You would be surprized what people throw down their toilet, as well as the usual 'stuff', we also found loads of fish heads in one manhole.

One of the worse was a broken arm off a doll, it looked like a babies arm.

The only thing that should go down the toilet is......toilet paper and what comes out of us.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back