private sewer pipe blocked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first time on here.

I am at the end of a private sewer pipe covering 5 properties, including my own.

Despite various requests and polite letters, the pipe is constantly being blocked by my neighbours cotton buds, sanitary products and once a tea-towel.

Where would I would stand on fitting a grill of wide hole "chicken-wire" across the pipe where it joins mine, thereby stopping anything too big, coming through?

Alternatively do I have any legal recourse in billing my neighbours for unblocking?

Sponsored Links
Depending on when it was built it may be unblockable by the local water authority. See a recent thread about this.

The cost of unblocking should be shared by those above the blockage.

You could potentially take them to court if they fail to contribute.

You dont make it very clear where you expect to fit filters.

Tony

Yes, the law is very clear on this situation. The handful of properties served by these private stretches of pipe until it meets the public main are jointly liable for blockages. Often the person most affected will stump up for a one-off, but you are perfectly entitled to charge your neighbours for their share and would easily win a small claims case for the money. If you want to try a different route, the council will often clear these cases and bill for it, and then they have a bit more clout to extract the money.

Some properties are maintainable by the water authority, but I think this is only when built before 1936.

It may depend on the diameter too.

Mine built in 1926 is covered. But the neighbour's solicitor spent £1000 of her money before contacting me so that I could out him right!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I am at the end of a private sewer pipe covering 5 properties, including my own.
Not quite clear which end you are. Are you the first house (nearest the main sewer) or the last house?

Alternatively do I have any legal recourse in billing my neighbours for unblocking?
There will be something in the deeds of your house about the rights of each owner to send their waste down the private sewer and responsibility for maintenance.

Read this Private Sewers.

This might be helpful as well.

Not quite clear which end you are. Are you the first house (nearest the main sewer) or the last house?

Unfortunately thats not clear either!

The "first" house can be construed as being closest to or furthest away from the sewer.

Tony

I am the last house, nearest the main sewer. All sewerage from my 4 neighbours, flows in my direction before entering the main sewer.

Hope this clears it up!

We now know where you are located!

Was it built before 1936?

What have you done to ask the water authority who they "think" is responsible for clearing when blocked.

If its the householders responsibility there is a very good argument that IF the blockage is caused by certain people putting unsuitable things in the drain then the entire cost of unblocking should rest with them.

Tony

We now know where you are located!

Was it built before 1936?

What have you done to ask the water authority who they "think" is responsible for clearing when blocked.

If its the householders responsibility there is a very good argument that IF the blockage is caused by certain people putting unsuitable things in the drain then the entire cost of unblocking should rest with them.

Tony

Only built in the 1960's i'm afraid.

The water authority have stated that they believe there to be shared responsibility and would help to bill each household individually for any work I have to carry out.

They also suggested a CCTV inspection might be a good idea to rule out any issues with the pipe itself.

In that case I totally agree with their advice and you are very lucky that they are being so helpful over the question of billing.

If you are convinced that it is getting blocked because of the actions of just one house then you could write to everyone explaining the situation and asking everyone not to put anything down the drain which is unsuitable.

Tony

Unfortunately that's not clear either! The "first" house can be construed as being closest to or furthest away from the sewer.
I did define the first house as nearest the main (i.e public) sewer.

taxman said:
I am the last house, nearest the main sewer.
Then, according to my definition. you are the first house ;)

Think of the private sewer as a cul-de-sac off the main sewer. The first house in a cul-de-sac is the one nearest the main road, not the one at the far end.

However that's just semantics, it does not extract you from the smelly stuff. :LOL:

Roll on 2011. :)

I have already done the letters twice to no avail.

Maybe if they all go on holiday at different times I will be able track down the culprit by a process of elimination!

Until then I will get the CCTV done and start billing each of my neighbours for 20% of the cost of future unblocking.

As you seem to be a practically minded fellow you might want to do a simple test for damage which would cause a blockage to build up.

CCTV surveys cost about £250 a time!

If you buy some drainage rods and a rubber 4" disc ( sometimes sold in a pack at about £12 upwards ) and then push it slowly up or down the drain then if there is any significant blockage or problem such as roots or a cracked pipe then it can often be felt.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back