PRICING. CAN WE ALL AGREE ON HERE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A FORUM FOR DIY PLUMBING AND HEATING, CAN WE ALL AGREE TO TOTALLY IGNORE ANY POSTINGS OF "HOW" MUCH AND "WAS I RIPPED OFF" TYPE POSTINGS FROM PEOPLE, AS WE ALL KNOW UNLESS WE WERE THERE IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO KNOW A "HOW" MUCH" COSTING IT WOULD BE ECT.

SOME PEOPLE COME ON HERE WITH THE SPECIFIC INTENTION OF RIPPING OFF THEIR INSTALLER, WHILE WE ON HERE ARE GIVING "FREE" ADVICE AND GOODWILL TO GENUINE POSTINGS, COSTINGS ARE GOING TO VARY DRASTICALLY AS WE ALL KNOW FORM AREA TO AREA, BOILER TO BOILER ECT ECT.

SO IF WE COULD ALL IGNORE FUTURE TIGHTFISTED DICKWAD POSTINGS, THEY COULD CRAWL BACK FROM WHERE THEY CAME.

YOURS SINCERELY TO EVERYONE ON HERE

PVM

Sponsored Links
When the industry is free of ripoff merchants then there will be no more posts of this type :rolleyes: Unfortunately, as with any infrequent high value purchase, there is always likely to be huge variation in prices charged for the same service, so there will always be a huge incentive for buyers to shop around.

When the industry is free of ripoff merchants then there will be no more posts of this type

Fine as long as they find a relevant forum to **** off to.

There are many other forums that cover questions such a sports injuries/ medical matters or gardening tips for example.

I can't imagine they are peppered with:
'What's the going rate for a knee support strap?'
or
'My garden centre charged £40 for a few bags of compost and I've seen them on-line for 3 pence.'

If someone asked me for a refund based on costs obtained this way, I'd happliy refund twice the money if I could poke them in the eye & stamp on their face for their utter useless c***ishness.

Sponsored Links
I am totally happy with seeing questions and advising people of what work is required and what things might cost.

Where the question of costs is so variable is in relation to the standard of work. I would say that the installations I see in London are perhaps 70% lacking in some respect which I would clasify as the installer being lazy or saving his money ( like not fitting an auto bypass for example ).

However, I am incensed by postings where customers are wanting to find arguments for NOT paying their contractors!

Tony

I'm amazed that so many people agree a price, then at the end of the job decide the price is not correct - this goes for tradesmen altering their price and customers who suddenly feel they're being overcharged.

unfortunatley I think most people when they tell others of work they have had done get the reply

"you were ripped off my auntys postmans best mate is a plumber had he would have paid YOU a tenner to do that"

or similar which has no basis in fact but makes yer average punter second guess a price they were originally happy with

:)

I fully agree with the original O.P , with out the full fact's , which one is unlikely to get , how can u comment ???? another issue might be ??? , labelling some installer's or rgi's , as cowboy's or incompetent based on what some one post's ???

I fully agree with the original O.P , with out the full fact's , which one is unlikely to get , how can u comment ???? another issue might be ??? , labelling some installer's or rgi's , as cowboy's or incompetent based on what some one post's ???

I totally agree with Transam ,its very easy to jump to conclusions without hearing the full story,normally the installer or heating engineer gets it in the neck because he is not here to defend himself

The heating engineer on these forums gets it in the neck because the customer fails to tell the whole story.

It then becomes not just a one sided view but an incomplete view. Often the customer intentionally leaves out salient details.

Tony

It's not just on-line this is happening, this week I was invited to attend a processing factory to quote for the maintenance of two LPG fired 300Kw Boilers, on arriving I was asked in addition to the maintenance quote to quote for materials and labour to install the pipework between the boilers and the process in the factory, (it was installed two weeks ago) it is all 100 -150mm welded steel, with pumps, and valves and a 300mm low loss header, it turns out that the job was installed on the basis of a contractors day rate + materials, the client thinks the installer has milked the job and dosn't want to pay! he wants my quote, as he thinks the original installer will turn up and rip out what he installed (given the heavy nature of the installation I don't think this is likely) needless to say I have walked away i'm not even quoting for the maintenance :rolleyes:

Well,,,,, A few weeks ago, a lady posted on here asking if there was anywhere (online or off) she could send a plan of her house to so a heating system could be designed, with a bit of input from her.
She was shot down in flames.
One plumber even suggested she couldn't have any input on the job (In other words, she couldn't say which style of radiator she wanted, couldn't have her choice of pipework, nor even select a boiler from a selection once the system had been designed and that he wouldn't do any job where the customer is telling him what they want).
The attitude of some on here was horrendous to say the least. Basically " You know nothing of these things my dear, sod off"
I pointed out that clients do have input on their own jobs. IE If I was having new central heating in I'd at least want a choice of radiators, boiler and possibly pipework. What's wrong with that? I even asked if anyone had worked on new build sites where the boiler, radiators etc have been specified.
When designing a heating system for a domestic customer, do you lot not offer them a choice of boiler, radiators etc?

The lady requested to the Mod's that her post was deleted. Personally I thought the attitude of a few on here was disgusting to say the least. She wan't trying to rip anyone off nor pull anyone down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back