garden electrics over patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking at the option of a pond in the garden with associated pump and maybe some lighting, but we have a hurdle to overcome before we do too much planning:-

How do we route power from A to B without digging up the patio?

View media item 22098
There is a cable that runs from the consumer unit and through the wall of the house (marked as ‘A’ in the photo). Once the power has reached point ‘B’ is can be routed underground to wherever we need it. The wall in between is the neighbours extension. The concrete fence post on the left belongs to us. We would also want an external socket on our wall above 'A'.

Without getting too technical what are our options?

Sponsored Links
I'd just clip SWA in the corner, unless someone here has a better idea (if you do, please chime in before I do mine the same way).

I would think you will need SWA (Steel wire armoured) cable to be able to put under ground which normally you would just clip to wall you show. In the past I have used glue of some type from no more nails to silicon sealant to retain cable in position where drilling is not permitted but much would depend on surface of wall the paint likely would just flake off with cable. Although you could mount a box on the wall to swap from T&E to SWA normally one would take the inner at least of SWA direct to consumer unit.

You don't say where you live but likely this would come under Part P and the cost of paying LABC will likely equal whole cost of paying a registered electrician so really better asking him.

SWA is certainly the answer. It can always be buried later, so leave a suitable loop somewhere to allow for this.

If you intend to join to that cable at point A, you will need some kind of weather-proof enclosure.

The cables should enter the bottom of the box, using suitable cable glands.

You may want to consider employing an electrician to carry out this work because it is very important to make sure everything is water-tight.

It is also very important that the steel wire armouring of the cable is earthed, and earthed properly.

At the other end you should consider getting special garden junction box (I can't remember the correct name at the moment). It is a large plastic box with a removable lid. Here you can fit a 4 gang socket, for example. On one side there is a slot where the lid meets, with water-proof seals. Here flexes for your pump, fountain etc can be passed through.

With ponds it is a good idea to allow for enough sockets as you may want to add lighting (possibly via a timer), and you will probably end up buying all sorts of appliances just to keep the water clean.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the all the advice.

I'll definitely get an electrician to do the wiring.

Knowing that we can just run the SWA along that wall will make things a lot eaiser.

I'd say that the above advice is good...

However as that wall is your neighbours, I'd ask them if they'd mind you fixing a cable to it.. (assuming you get on that is).. If you don't get on then I'd probably go with doing it when you know they are out and keep quiet about it.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back