Incompetent bodger fails to install push fit waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Problem declared unsolvable by Icgs (at least without megabodge such as gluing it in and putting rubber tape around it) due to incorrect equipment This is for a porcelain sink not sanitaryware.

View media item 22123
How do you fit this push fit waste I have dismantled here? Like a genius I paid no attention to how it was put together while still packed.

As you can see it contains:

Push button
Tail buton pushes into
Two silicone gaskets
A plastic disc the size of the tail
A back washer.

I tried for an hour, then noticed it was daylight and I'm throwing in the towel for today. Did manage to fit it, but there is two curved rectanfular holes in the side of the tail the button pushes into which I assume must somehow be sealed with one of the gaskets (the other one probably being what the button pushes into). Anyways, water came out of the holes so I blew it.

What is it I should have done?

Sponsored Links
the metal part goes on the top as you will already know with the white rubber washer the plastic washer goes under neath which is recommended to use silicone selant with it thats what the other white rubber washer is just silcone throw that away and use some fresh and then the plastic nut goes underneath with the plastic washer

Keep all the metal bits and get a basin mate(easy seal) about £1,no silicone and you'll be hard pressed to get a leaking waste if you fit one.

Keep all the metal bits and get a basin mate(easy seal) about £1,no silicone and you'll be hard pressed to get a leaking waste if you fit one.

Funny enough I had one leaking the other day (first time I've seen that with a basin mate)
When I disassembled it the waste hole in the basin was oval, sorted it with silicon either side of the washer and round the thread.

Sponsored Links
OK, I am useless at this task. Save me from myself and a polar bear automatically gets born in the Arctic.

The brass back nut does not screw up any higher than the tail you can see in the Mr Bodge Fail Install image (the thread ends below those two curved rectangular holes). Well, actually you CAN make it screw up tighter, I had two of these and destroyed the first one by forcing it to do so.

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong here? It sits pretty in it's hole unless you yank and tilt it then you can see what happens in the photo.

What's the silicone you mean too? Just like some bath sealant or a thread sealant like jet blue or ls-x or something else

The waste you have is for a porcelin sink with built in overflow.it appears your not fitting it to sanitaryware.

You need an unslotted waste.

The waste you have is for a porcelin sink with built in overflow.it appears your not fitting it to sanitaryware.

You need an unslotted waste.

Ahh thanks man, that's the problem. This wasn't a planned project. See I accidentally broke the waste in the sink yesterday while replacing a tap and I only had the waste I intended to use for my new toilet sink.

Can you recommend a good one, from say, screwfix or does it simply not matter?

Any other bits I should ask for?

Thanks linky, any suggestions on the silicone sealant I should use? Tried to take out the old s-bends and made a right mess of them due to them being glued together. In the end forced em off with the trusty stilsons and vice grip combo (that combo remove everything!) an then dumped them in a solution of caustic soda to get rid of all the old brown gunky sealant stuff. Well they'e nice and clean now but the connection to the waste itself now leaks (connection to other pipe sections don't), so what sealant should I be using?

Thought about dumping a whole load of LSX, teflon tape or Jet Blue in there but lets try and do a job without bodging it for once :D

You'll love this, I chose Jet Blue for the sealant because it's cheap so I could smother it everywhere, everywhere except the overflow where I used a bit of LSX.

Well, fitted it all together. Completely covered in unidentifiable liquids from people turning the tap on forgetting I was there or me forgetting to replace the bucket I was using as a temporary measure for collecting waste water. So there I am, all proud of making it work, especially with salvaging all the P-Trap its and pieces using caustics and a wire brush. The plastic washer that attaches to the waste was damaged though where the tool I used to remove it before damaged the bits which stick out (it was REALLY stuck).

Anyway, I applied a final turn with soft-jaw waterpump pliers to make it all nice and leak free and the screw that goes into the plastic waste from the sink bowl itself snapped a part of the waste off. So now I still have no kitchen and I get to do it all again :D

Mr Bodger - Bodging down to a fine art

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back