Similar sized bathroom wall and floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

We are just about to have some bathroom wall and floor tiles fitted.

The floor tiles are square and grey in colour, we intend having a dark grout. The wall tiles are also square and are white in colour, we will be having a white grout. The floor tiles around aroun 1-2mm smaller in width than the wall tiles.

It is unfortunate that the floor tiles are slightly smaller however there is an oppotunity to align the grout lines so they run along the floor and then up the wall i.e. the tiles up the wall will align with the floor tiles. This will require a narrower white grout line on the walls and a wider grey grout line on the floor.

An alternative is not to have grout lines that line up. This will allow me to have identical width grout lines on the floor and ceiling.

Please advise on people's thoughts on this. Some may think it sounds anal to have them line up. The tiler has his thoughts but I thought I would ask other people for unbiased advise.

Cheers

Need Help21

Sponsored Links
Use slightly larger spacers on the floor than the walls,I've had customers ask for the grout lines to match up before.Takes a little more setting out but it's possible with such a small difference 1-2mm.

Could use say 4-5mm on the floor and 2mm on the walls.

If your tiler's thoughts are against it then I would say it's only because it involves a bit more work for him.

do your tiles have shoulders or squared edges?
if for example your wall tiles had shoulders and floor tiles were square edged there would be NO problem lining joints up wall to floor. as you could use 3 mm spacers on wall and 4 mm spacers on floor, the shoulder compensating for the extra width
If the edges are the same it can still be done but with careful setting out, and first class grouting and cleaning off

Hi,

I have lined the tiles out on the floor and have attached some photographs.

The floor tiles measure 329mm wide and the wall tiles are 333mm wide which I believe suggests a grout of 6mm on the floor and 2mm on the walls.

The wall tiles have a sharper edge profile than the wall tiles. We are going to have white grout on the wall tiles and dark grout on the floor tiles

Thoughts would be appreciated people on whether the difference is too big for what most people would call acceptable (even though in all honesty it's me that has got to live with it)

Cheers

Need Help21

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back