Worcester Green star 18-25kw pump connected on return pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Worcester Bosch Green star 18-25kw condensing oil burning boiler.
Going for fully pumped vented setup.

After reading the installation manual of my boiler and having changed the tanks to be higher up in the loft I have discovered that the pump is connected to the return of the circuit!?

Surely the pump should be on the flow side!? The pump is in close proximity to the boiler within 1 meter of pipework.

I noticed looking at diagrams that some systems have the pump closer to the H/w cyclinder which is not close to the boiler. I would have thought you would want the water pumping asap from the boiler?

Too many questions I know but I need to get it straight in my head!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Quite normal practice to put a pump on the return due to the lower running temperature (most combis do this also)

As long as you havent changed any controls or much of the system pipe work you should be ok

Get your oil pump pressure checked and commissioned by an engineer though, ive had a few giving wild readings after installation and been to sooty ones after a month that were not checked after installation

Well I am changing most of the pipework and having all new controls!
I have got a plumber to help me next week but the plan was for me to get most if done before hand so he can check it all out and remedy any errors.

I am going to be adding motorised and bypass valves today so shall I just leave the pump where it is and carry on?

Sponsored Links
Depends on the position of your open vent etc,

On the flow pipe coming from the boiler the order should be

1) Open vent
2) Cold feed
3) Pump

So by putting the pump on the return by the boiler thats how they achieved that sequence, the most important thing is get the vent right

I havent had much trouble doing it that way, if all the controls and pipe work is in the airing cupboard then shouldnt be much trouble with moving the pump there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back