32 amp socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does a 32 Amp outside socket at a factory unit need to be RCD protected ? It supplies power to a portakabin. wired in swa along the surface. just been given a list of jobs to do in a factory where a test company has been in and it has been listed as code 1, TIA

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Im sorry, doing ten things at once !! then edited it wrong The earth loop reading is fine

Im sorry, doing ten things at once !! then edited it wrong The earth loop reading is fine
I didn't ask about that, but never mind.

Cut to the chase - I assume you didn't pay for the PIR, and you aren't going to have to pay for any remedial work? Is it any skin off your nose to just fit an RCD and leave your employer to decide whether to argue the toss (an apposite term, methinks) with the people who did the inspection?

Another option may be to remove the socket and install a suitably IP rated junction box.
I wouldn't like to put the feed to a portakabin on a 30mA RCD tbh.

Another option may be to remove the socket and install a suitably IP rated junction box.
I wouldn't like to put the feed to a portakabin on a 30mA RCD tbh.

I wouldn't either. I'm not sure RCD protection is required for a 32A socket even though it is outdoors.

411.3.3 Additional protection

In a.c. systems, additional protection by means of an RCD in accordance with Regulation 415.1 shall be provided for:
(i) socket-outlets with a rated current not exceeding 20 A that are for use by ordinary persons and are intended
for general use, and
(ii) mobile equipment with a current rating not exceeding 32 A for use outdoors.

(i) doesn't apply and (ii) can't either as a portakabin can't be classed as mobile equipment:

Mobile equipment (portable equipment (deprecated)). Electrical equipment which is moved while in operation or which can easily be moved from one place to another while connected to the supply.

The OP states that all the circuits within the portakabin are protected by an RCD so that satisfies 717.411.1

I would agree with GaryMo and would also point out 537.3.2.6 which I read as meaning when the supply is over 16A it needs a switch to remove power before being unplugged. Of course that switch could be the consumer unit switch. It does not need to be RCD protected and if the portacabin has more than one RCD fitted then 314.1(iv), 531.2.9, 536.3, and 531.2.4 must be considered. It is possible that fitting a 30ma RCD would not comply!

As to code 1 how? RCD's are not to be relied on as sole protective device so fitting a RCD would never remove immediate danger.
Code 2 OK but not code 1.

I was thinking it would have to be 30mA for supplementary protection purposes?

But it's not required by BS 7671 so the addition of an RCD would be by choice.

The Q is though why did the guy doing the PIR code it #1?

Thinking about it they can't just shrug and fit any RCD, as presumably the point of fitting one is to address issues raised in the report? Would it be normal to do that and then have a "re-test" done to get a clean bill of health?

If so then they are going to have to ask the guy what on earth he was thinking of, and possibly argue with him...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back