Is there such a thing as a 2gang switch AND dimmer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to use a dimmer on the 6A downlights and a normal switch for the central halogen 12v ceiling light as they are not compatible with a dimmer . Rather than wiring two separate switchplates I was wondering if there was a single plate 2 gang switch with a dimmer and a switch around anywhere? (ie one dimmer switch for the normal 6A lights and a standard switch or ideally a dimmer for the 12v ceiling light)

2czvzn4.jpg

Sponsored Links
if you use a gridswitch you can assemble pretty well anything inside it. But you may need a deeper or larger backbox as the dimmers are a bit big.

Grid dimmers are shockingly expensive. Be sure to buy a good brand like Crabtree, MEM or MK.

I think the "push on-off" "turn-dim" last better than the "turn-on-dim-bright" ones, but the more modern electronic ones are "push-on-dim-bright-dim-off" and may last even better.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...nu_Index/Grid_System/Grid_System_4/index.html

Thanks John, so there's nothing that would fit into a standard light switch pattress box? Have never heard of the gridswitches before so will have to check them out.

You can get a switch module which fits in place of one of the dimmer modules on a standard 2 gang dimmer switch. This should be ok on a standard 25mm flush box. Probably not if the box is only 16mm though.

Personally I think using a grid switch is the more elegant soloution, but if you can't fit a deeper box, there's not much you can do.

Sponsored Links
Unless there are loads of wires at the switch, you can normally get away with a 35mm box for a grid dimmer IIRC.

You may struggle even with a normal dimmer.
Can you change the box, if not you will have to go surface mount, or a white extension box.

Silly me, just realised that there's 12mm plasterboard around the box too so that will give a max clearance of 28mm. Looks like a standard twin dimmer and a switch module to replace one of them then. Thanks fellas. :D

It's an SELV max 80W output type. (there are 6 10W halogens in the fitting) so presumably the IQ range of LV dimmers and
Infra-red/Touch dimmers ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back